Wet bilge

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lauraine

We have a 1985 C30 and have owned her for 6 years now. And for 6 years, we have been trying to find out why our bilge is wet. We have searched and searched for leaks but we'll be darned if we can figure it out. Now, with 8,000 C30's out there, someone else smarter than us must have had this problem and found out the whys and wherefores. Any suggestions?

J

Jack

Ice box/refrigerator

Two different boats but my ice box/refrigerator and shower both drain to the bilge. Not the best arrangement but that is how my works. Just two ideas for you to consider, I'm sure others will follow. Jack

R

Robert Moretti

Same boat

My Catalina 30 is also a 1985 model. I've owned her about as long as you've had yours. Sources of water in the bilge include: 1. Steady dripping from the drive shaft stuffing box. 2. Icebox drains directly to bilge. 3. Shower drains directly to bilge. 4. Water draining from mast after it rains, along route taken by mast electrical wiring. 5. When antisiphon valve on engine cooling system gets stuck open, water will drain into bilge. 6. Leak from rudder shaft stuffing box. 7. Window leaks are common. 8. Leaks in fresh water tanks or plumbing.

Jun 6, 2004
Catalina 27 Dennis
Follow the Water

I would add a cracked stern-tube rto the list. Rare, but happened to me with my C27. Check to see if there is water in the engine compartment. The liner hides the slow transit of the water down into the bilge. If there is, the best bets are packing gland, rudder tube, stern tube, in that order. I had another boat with a hairline crack on the aft side of the rudder tube- really a tough one too find. Be sure to have an automatic float-switch bilge pump just in case... Good luck with the hunt! Roger Cape Cod

S

Scott

Leaks

Here are a few of the areas where I found leaking that resulted in mystery bilge water when I bought my 88. Cockpit drains - rebed, steering quadrant box - clean drain and install new grommets/reseal around wire runs, mast wire run - drilled .060 hole at base of mast, stern locker - added gasketing, stem fitting at bow - rebed, footpump on icebox drain - replaced. My favorite leak didn't get to the bilge but deserves mention, it was an opening portlight that resisted new gaskets, lenses, o-rings and rebedding. Turns out it was one of the expansion joints on the frame, I used silicone to seal it until a more knowledgeable Catalina30 owner suggested Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure. Toilet paper or baby powder is handy when you are trying to track down the source of leaks.

May 10, 2004
Beneteau 36 CC Sidney, BC, Canada
taste the water

Assuming you are on the ocean not a lake - is it salty tasting? if so you can focus on sea water leak areas first, if fresh search out the rain water or other fresh water leak sources suggested. Does the bilge get wet when the boat sits at the dock or only when it is moving? or only when you are sailing? Use a water soluble marker and draw lines around on the side of the bilge - water will wash away a part of the line which will help you trace the leak, - answering these questions can reduce your search, good luck.Just think how good you'll feel when you solve the problem !!:)

P

PT

Had an 86

I owned it for 10 years, always had water in the bilge. It did not seem to hurt amything as it passed a marine examination when I sold it. Only problem was when the water got old it smelled. So you clean it out every other week. That was easier than trying to fix all the other possible sources of leaks listed in the above posts. Got another boat now and I got water in the bilge. I am used to it. The benefit is that I can test my bilge pumps now and then!!!

jlp

Jul 27, 2005
Catalina 30mkIII Portland
Always wet.

Have owned C27 an C30 for last 30 years. Always had wet bilge. Unless you have a dripless shaft seal how do you not have a wet bilge as conentional seals need to drip at least when underway. fair winds jeff http://home.teleport.com/~salmo/DejaVu/

L

Lauraine

Thanks, Robert, You've given me a couple things

to no longer worry about. We have a dripless shaft seal but I had forgotten about the rudder stuffing box and the mast wiring. That explains alot of it. We don't use the shower :) and we only use the icebox for dry storage.

Jun 4, 2004
- - Hampton, VA
Also have '85 C30 with dripless shaft seal. Two leaks remain one being water coming inside the mast and draining through the wiring tube the top of which is level with the top of the mast step. There is an article in the forum regarding the fix for this which involves adding a new tube with the top 3-4 in. above the mast step. Second leak is from the port stern cleat and also the clamshell vent which both leak into the lazerette, then leaks through the access panel screw holes into the inner bottom (access thru rear of quarter berth), under the quarter berth and the fuel tank into the bilge. What was puzzling was after drying all the water I would find more water in the bilge even when it had not rained. Under the fuel tank was a large mound of fiberglass (either to support the center of the tank or maybe to strengthen the shaft strut) which dammed some water until the the boat rocked. Both fixes are on the spring to-do-list. You may check for rust on cap nuts on the overhead as evidence of screw/bolt leaks.

L

Lauraine

Thanks, Carey, I wondered about the clamshell

vent myself. I can dry the bilge totally and still end up with water after a sail. Your fuel tank theory seems like a good bet. I am wondering about the rudder tube also. And the wheel housing. And there is always water afer a good rain. How about water entering through the emergency tiller/rudder thingy? We have fixed all the window leaks and rebedded screws, bolts, stanchions, winches, cleats, ad nauseum.

B

Brian

Pressure Water

I own a 1985 Catalina 30 and have a wet bilge. It first appeared on a rough crossing on Lake Huron and bothered us greatly until we tied up. After mopping up and conducting an extensive search we found nothing. The next leg of the trip found more water in the bilge. It turns out that the plastic elbow going into the hot water heater had been cracked as we filled the lazarette with gear. Apparently the heat from the motor running had added just enough additional pressure to force the water out in a very fine spray, over the 12 hour passages that amounted to several gallons. Replaced the elbow with a very stong brass fitting and no more problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.