Western L.I. Sound marina

JCH4

Feb 17, 2024
Newport 30 mkiii Patchogue
Hi! So it looks like I'll be purchasing a Newport 30-3 on the South Shore of Long Island. I'm considering having it hauled overland to the North Shore, and am looking for marinas in the western end of the Long Island Sound. I'd appreciate any recommendations or other helpful advice.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Transporting overland may be quite pricey. Is the mast down already? Is there a reason you don't want to sail around?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I would regard the trip around the island as an opportunity for some mild adventure. And you don't have to go east. Going west is a great trip too.
But if you don't see it that way, or have other reasons I would look for a broker - who move boats all the time - with a recommendation for a transport company . As a former commuter on the expressway I can testify boats are moved all the time. Most of what I saw were newer power boats. But a guy with a hydraulic trailer can make a quick grand on a trip like that. You do all the prep. Yards will apply fees on both ends depending on services needed.
What time of year do you anticipate the move?

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
Putting aside how to move the boat (I'd sail it) there are lots of marina choices. Where do you live? Do you want a slip or a mooring? Long Island or Bronx/ Westchester side? Other amenities?

JCH4

Feb 17, 2024
Thanks for the replies. I live in northwest Queens, so the north shore of L.I. as far as Port Washington, City Island in the Bronx, Westchester, and southern Connecticut, are all relatively convenient. I've been sailing for 30+ years on boats 30'-45', have done thousands of miles bluewater, but never on my own boat, and never really in charge, so I want some time on the boat to get comfortable enough to make days-long trips. I figure I could keep her in the Great South Bay and do some day sailing there, but it's shallow, and space is limited, so I think I'd quickly outgrow that area and want to take her around to the sound. That would most likely mean a slip or mooring at a yacht club with a launch for a couple of months, then move to another at a more permanent home in the sound. Getting a hold of two places to keep her in one season seems like a lot right now, so eliminating the time in the bay seems pragmatic.

Right now, she's out of the water, and the mast is up. The idea would be to get her in the water to do a sea trial, probably in March. Then possibly keep her in the water in the bay or immediately haul her over to the sound. But if the hauling is more than a few hundred bucks, maybe it's not worth it.

As for what I'm looking for in a marina, what kind of amenities, slip, mooring, etc., I figure a mooring would be cheapest, and I don't see myself taking advantage of much of what a higher-end yacht club would offer, other than a launch service to the mooring.

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
I like Barron's, and if you moor there you get priority for winter storage which you should consider at the same time. Unfortunately, City Island traffic can be a real pain on weekends.
Bayside Marina might be the most convenient and Port Washington town moorings the best deal and nicest location, but neither has winter storage options, so extra effort is involved.
Someone more familiar with the North Shore yacht clubs might chime in on summer/winter combos.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hey,

I'm more familiar with the marinas in Suffolk County but I've stayed in plenty of Nassau county marinas as well.

Some basic comments:
Since you live on Long Island I would recommend keeping the boat on the LI side of the sound. Why cross a bridge, with tolls and traffic, when don't have too?
If you splash the boat for a sea trial then having to haul it and transport it will be well over $1K, probably closer to $5K.
As long as the engine is in decent shape it's a simple trip to NY harbor, up the east river and into the Sound
There are lots of marina in Manhasset Bay and Hempstead too. Moorings, slips (if you have the $), etc.

My first 'big boat' was a Newport 28. I have many fond memories of that boat.

Good luck!

Barry

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The OP is short on details but doesn't say he's located on L.I.
I would say crossing from LI to Ct to use the boat is a bad idea. Or vice versa.
Dockage in either area is dear. Hopefully OP has a plan B. A few years of dockage will approach the value of the boat.

JCH4

Feb 17, 2024
OP here. I live in Queens, very close to the Worlds Fair Marina, close to the Whitestone Bridge, so City Island and Westchester marinas are close to me, as are north shore marinas as far out as Port Washington. I expect to keep it at a mooring, and am looking closely at Barron's on City Island, and New Rochelle. Both are very low maintenance/fees as neither have slips, restaurants, etc. Barron's has a tender, and New Rochelle is strictly dinghy. In either case, you need to buy your own mooring.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
My 8th grade science teacher considered the World's Fair Marina the ideal place to live (Aboard). That's was 50+ years ago. But he made a good case for it. He also might have been a lunatic.
Sounds like OP has done his research. In my experience I would avoid City Island.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
[QUOTE="JCH4, post: 1810036, member: 164093”] Why? [/QUOTE]
I should have posted “I avoid City Island …” When I’ve gone there, mostly to restaurants, I thought it was very expensive for what we got. That is the hallmark for me of “Touristy.” I’ve had trouble parking and terrible traffic approaching the island. I’ve felt like a mark while visiting.

JCH4

Feb 17, 2024
Yes, definitely heard about the bridge traffic, but have been told it's mostly people touristing. Those who keep their boats there tell me it's not an issue until you try to go there for dinner.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
We spent a few nights at Barrons awhile back and didn't go to any of the restaurants. The island is interesting, on some blocks it feels like an urban neighborhood, then a few blocks away it feels completely different, more like an old N.E. fishing town. There will be mansions and contemporary homes sitting across the street or next to cottages or homes you would expect to find in a working class neighborhood. Since we arrived by boat, we didn't have to deal with traffic.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Commuted over the Whitestone for many years. Traffic is better than it was because of E-Zpass. Cost has not gone down, however. Toll is more than $11 now.
What about Bayside Marina in Little Neck Bay, near Fort Totten? Shorter distance and no toll to get there.

JCH4

Feb 17, 2024
Commuted over the Whitestone for many years. Traffic is better than it was because of E-Zpass. Cost has not gone down, however. Toll is more than $11 now.
What about Bayside Marina in Little Neck Bay, near Fort Totten? Shorter distance and no toll to get there.
I was thinking about Bayside marina. It would be incredibly convenient, but I'm concerned it would probably take an hour of sailing or motoring just to get as far as City Island, making day trips to the sound a little harder.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Do you want to spend an hour sailing or an hour driving? Don't forget the return trip! If you play the tide right the Sound won't be too far.

Last edited:

JCH4

Feb 17, 2024
Do you want to spend an hour sailing or an hour driving? Don't forget the return trip! If you play the tide right the Sound won't be too far.
Good point about the driving! I had that thought, and started reconsidering Bayside. They provide the mooring, which is a savings on first expenses, but their website says $75/ft for launch service + $400 for mooring rental. For a 30' boat that's $2,650/season. It really adds up when compared to similar, basic marinas, but is still cheaper than yacht clubs.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Maybe go a little East to, say Glen Cove, might be less expensive. If you are economy oriented it’s going to be a mooring. With that there are still going to be expenses. Having a boat in that area just isn’t cheap.