Westerbeke10-2 alternator adjustment

Sep 7, 2009
O'Day 1987 272Le Lake Arthur, Moraine State Park Portersville,Pa.
I'm having trouble adjusting the alternator belt on the 10-2 motor that is on a 1987 O'Day 272 LE. Is there a easy way to get to the adjusting bolts on the alternator. The motor housing cabinet seem to be to close to get the wrench into the bolts. Any suggestions.
Thanks
Chuck

Last edited:

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Chuck, have you tried to access it from the port side of the engine housing/cabinet..? I wish I could be more help....I have not needed to change either of the belts...In this case, ignorance is not bliss though....I check mine periodically, but not often enough. You might give Rudy a call at D & R Marine in Ma...

Dec 27, 2011
Oday 272 Pensacola
If you are still in need of information on adjusting your alternator, I can check mine this weekend. I have adjusted mine several times (had main pulley shaft break off). Will gets pics if needed. Remember using socket as well as wrenches in past.

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
Take the L-shaped bulkhead piece off that covers the port and port aft sides of the engine into the quarter berth. You remove about 5 screws and you have all the access you need.

Sep 7, 2009
Yes, I would like to get some pictures if you get a chance. I'm not too mechanical. I need all the info I can get. Thanks for your help.
Chuck

Dec 27, 2011
Oday 272 Pensacola
Like Mickstr said, remove engine cover's 4 screws and set aside cover. This will give you access to port side of engine where alternator is located(pic 1 & 2). Also remove ladder in front of engine. Find nut on bracket (bolts from rear of engine into bracket). See 2nd post for more pics.

Attachments

Dec 27, 2011
Oday 272 Pensacola
Oops, disregard pic 3. It is of front of alternator/bracket and shows no useful info.
Pic 4 shows 1/2" socket with 2" extension required to fit over bolt and give clearance to get past corner brace. Since the bracket is curved, you probably won't need to loosen anything else for adjustment. Good luck and if any other questions, let me know.View attachment 128962

Attachments

Sep 7, 2009
Thanks for the great pictures. Now I know what to do. I appreciate all that you have done for me.