Westerbeke ignition key?

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I’ve been living dangerously since I bought my current boat 3 years ago. It came with only 1 key for the Westerbeke 12c two. I decided I’m overdue to get a spare and went to my local Ace hardware. They looked and told me they didnt Have a blank that matched. I’m not sure if anywhere else would have one or if I need to go through Westerbeke. Anyone else run into this and know the answer?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
There is another option....
Toss the key and install a start button.
You wire a power switch that you install in a secret place. This switch when on powers the panel. Then you put in the panel a simply push button that when compressed causes the starter motor to turn and start the engine.

No more stinking keys...

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Try a locksmith. Had the same issue with my Yanmar. Locksmiths have many more blanks than HW stores.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Yep, tried to get a copy of the door key for my new boat at Ace, they didn't have the blank. First time they've ever disappointed me, they've even been able to copy broken keys for me once I dug the broken piece out of the cylinder. They referred me to a local lock & safe company. Haven't gone there yet but I will.