Westerbeke Diesels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chinny

Jul 25, 2007
Hunter 34 Rockport, ME
Hello, I'm diligently searching for a mid 80's vintage Hunter 34 to buy and have been rather partial to the Yanmar diesel. I know they have a great reputation for reliability, but am I making a mistake by not looking at a well equiped 34 with a Westerbeke? I really don't know much about them so if anyone can give me the pros and cons to both engines I would really appreciate it. Oh yeah, if someone is contemplating selling their H34 here in the Northeast, please let me know. It tough to find them locally. Thanks in advance, Christian

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
A good word for Westerbeke

I currently have a Westerbeke genset in my '97 h40.5 and I installed it at the outset. I have had issues with the electrical end of the generator, but the engine has run flawlessly. I have over 1600 hours on the machine now. Regarding my electrical issues, the northeast dealer from whom I bought the genset was nearly useless in their support. HOWEVER, the Westerbeke factory support was outstanding. I had an intermittent short in the 12V winding from he beginning and it finally went to a solid failure about the 3 year mark. The factory helped me trouble-shoot the problem, shipped me an empty crate to return the genset to the factory, replaced the entire electrical end, performed my 500 hour PM, and returned the genset to me. All at no cost. Since I had a paper trail of the problem from the beginning they waived the $200 user deductible for years 2-5 and they paid the yard bill for the lift-out and lift-in. I agreed that I would R&R the genset myself (my preference), but they offered to send a tech to do that work as well. Bottom line- Westerbeke makes a fine engine and stands behind their products. I also have a friend who had a 30hp 4-cyl Westerbeke engine in his 30' sailboat and he ran it for 15+ years with only normal maintenance issues. If there is any downside, it may be the parts cost. I think the replacement parts are expensive, but nobody's parts are cheap. For example, I paid $400 for a complete raw water pump this year for my genset. I think that is outrageous, but maybe everyone else is just as high? Seven years ago I paid $250 for a complete Volvo raw water pump, but that was a while ago. My Westerbeke raw water impellers were $18 three years ago and now they are $34. Hope this helps you.

C

Captn Dare

Both good engines

It comes down to personal preference. A Yanmar would be my first choice but there is nothing wrong with a Westerbeke. They have a few more bells and whistles on them so there's maybe more to go wrong. Overall condition of the boat is way more important.

chinny

Jul 25, 2007
Hunter 34 Rockport, ME
Good information!

It sure does Rich - thanks for the great information. I'm starting to learn, albeit slowly, in my 39 years of living that product support and parts availability is huge. Without either of those two elements, your machine is only as good as it's first major malfunction. then it's anyone's guess. That is one of the many reasons I'm buying a Hunter. I hear their factory support, in most cases, has been excellent. In addition to a thorough survey of whatever boat I decide on, I will pay for the extra piece of mind and get a mechanical survey on the diesel as well. Thanks again, Christian

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Hunter 82? 37 Cutter Wherever the wind takes me
A friend of mine has one in his Oday

And the little engine runs like a champ. I think he told me it is a 12 hp motor but don't hold me to it. Two cylinders, smooth, and surprisingly quiet. It doesn't give him any trouble at all and it is simple to work on. One time he stripped a thread on a screw on the water pump and he had to call Westerbeke - He gave me the impression that they have great customer service. Manny

Dec 3, 2003
Hunter Legend 37 Portsmouth, RI
Check Hansen's in Marblehead

Hansen is the distributor for Westerbeke's in the Northeast. It is quite a reliable machine and exclusive (I beleive) on the newer Sabre's. They send a rep to set them up for Sabre in Casco, ME. I took my diesel course on Westerbeke's at Hansen and he tailored the course to Yanmars because they know them also. Make an appt to talk to them! They are in your neck of the woods!

chinny

Jul 25, 2007
Hunter 34 Rockport, ME
Resale?

Thanks for the input. I guess I will put my fears aside, and if I see the right boat with a Westerbeke, i won't shy away from it. The only other question I would have (as opposed to a concern) is would a Yanmar serve me better down the road in resale value? Cheers!

D

Daryl

H34 Westerbeke, buy it!

1983 was the first year of production for the h34 and after the initial offering the company focused cutting production costs. The Westerbeke appears a bit heavier and larger but they actually out perform later Yanmar models. Part of that is due to the fact Hunter put the wrong props on the Yanmar boats (they likely had them in stock already and put them on even though they were wrong) The Westerbeke 21 block is made by Mitsibusi. They did marine conversions on many diesel engines and actually did a better job on the Perkins than Perkins did themself. Follow the advice about support in the Northeast from Hansen in Mass. They have fast reliable parts and tech support. Beware the early h34 had the wrong rudders on them. They tried to use the h31 rudder on the first 60-70 boats and didn't correct them unless the owner complained within 12 months. Proper rudders measure about 16" on the bottom front to back and the bad ones were only about 11"

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Christian, please complete your owner profile

I'd like to send you an email, but without your owner profile I can't do it.

chinny

Jul 25, 2007
Hunter 34 Rockport, ME
Profile complete.

Hey Rich, The owner profile has been complete. I was reluctant to fill it out only because I don't own a Hunter...Yet!

J

Jerry Keto

Westerbeke is extremely reliable!

This engine is like the Energizer Bunny! I've had nothing short of flawless performance on my 1983 H34 21hp engine. The glow plugs enable easy cold weather starts and the self-priming feature makes fuel filter changes a snap. Nothing but good things to say about the first run of the 83 H34 and the Westerbeke. This first batch Hunter also has the wide mast step plate and has had no compression post issues in 25 years. It would be interesting to know at what hull number they dropped the Westerbeke and the wide mast step plate? Mine is hull #43.

Dec 3, 2003
Hunter Legend 37 Portsmouth, RI
Keep in Mind...

...that Yanmars do not have glowplugs. The Yanmar relies on high compresion to ignite the fuel. It works fine on all Yanmars that I have seen.

D

Dave

Westerbeke is wonderful

I would have to agree with Jerry, the Westerbeke is easy to start in all weather. I winterized mine yesterday in 30 degree weather, after warming the glowplugs for 30 seconds it started right up. I have hull #35 and I am the second owner of the boat. The self priming fuel system is great, filters change out smoothly and easily. The only downside is its a little under powered, I have a Martec two blade foldong prop, but still handles super. Happy Trails,

Jul 11, 2007
Hunter 44AC Marina Del Rey
I had 16 years

of the luck of the draw with my 1983 H34... solid as a rock W21 and no mast compression issues. Don't have a clue which hull numbers to look for though. Although, the 3-point motor mount system and the two blade prop did present a challenging search for the RPM sweet spot when motoring. Keep an eye on the exhaust dump and the motor mount feet adjacent to the bell housing.

Jul 11, 2007
Hunter 44AC Marina Del Rey
one more catch

Keep in mind that if you are going to get insurance, you will need a survey. It is rare to get a survey on a 25 year old boat that does not recomend standing rigging replacement. The insurance company typically requires compliance with the surveyor's recomendations. The level of maintenance or lack thereof will play a huge roll in your costs after purchase on the rig, the engine, the hull, plumbing electrical etc. Good Luck..

chinny

Jul 25, 2007
Hunter 34 Rockport, ME
Thanks everybody...

Thank you to everyone who posted a response. I love this site!! I will definitely not shy away from a well equiped and maintained H34 with a Westerbeke diesel now. I will, however, along with a survey, commision getting a mechanical survey as well on what ever boat I'm serious about. Just to avoid engine unknowns. Thanks again everybody! Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.