Westerbeke 10-2 folks -- coolant q's, anybody know?

Jan 3, 2020
Hunter 27 Hoboken
Hey all!
I found out why the coolant overflow wasn't draining into the exhaust manifold--clogged with antifreeze crystals.
I've checked the manual but I cant tell if this hole goes straight through, I don't want to drill through the manifold by accident.

Also--does a regular flush get rid of these heavier deposits, if not, what's the plan?

Thanks!
IMG-3738.jpg
IMG-3737.jpg

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
My Westerbeke 12C two has a elbow that threads into that opening. I guess you removed yours and that how you found the clog. It should run through. If you pop the thermostat you can probably feel or maybe see the other end of the hole.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@SV_IdleHour
Not sure if you have seen this Westerbeke recommendation...
5. Servicing at every 400 hours of operation A. Cleaning of fuel tank​
*B. Adjustment of valve clearance
*C~ Checkup of starter motor, alternator and regulator​
Check the brush and surface of commutator for the degree of wear. Replace the brush if it is r.vorn beyond the limits of wear.​
*D. Checkup of glow plugs
Check the glow plugs for blow-out.​
E. Removal of cooling water and flushing is suggested~
Or the Tech Manual...

Jan 3, 2020
Hunter 27 Hoboken
My Westerbeke 12C two has a elbow that threads into that opening. I guess you removed yours and that how you found the clog. It should run through. If you pop the thermostat you can probably feel or maybe see the other end of the hole.
Yep! that was clogged too. Thanks!
IMG-3732.jpg

Jan 3, 2020
Hunter 27 Hoboken
@SV_IdleHour
Not sure if you have seen this Westerbeke recommendation...
5. Servicing at every 400 hours of operation A. Cleaning of fuel tank​
*B. Adjustment of valve clearance​
*C~ Checkup of starter motor, alternator and regulator​
Check the brush and surface of commutator for the degree of wear. Replace the brush if it is r.vorn beyond the limits of wear.​
*D. Checkup of glow plugs​
Check the glow plugs for blow-out.​
E. Removal of cooling water and flushing is suggested~
Or the Tech Manual...
Thanks! Yep have a few copies of the manual.
I got the boat at the end of last season and am going through all the systems.
Haven't flushed it yet, topped up with antifreeze though. Definitely a little crusty with crystals, you think they will flush out?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nope. Boil out maybe.

I see scraping... Perhaps goggles would be advised.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
That’s a serious build up. I just removed and reinstalled the elbow in mine. It had a very slight leak. My motor has 520 hours purchased it with 300 hours. Records don’t show that it was ever flushed. I had absolutely no buildup. I guess your heat exchanger is ok, do you run hot?

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Good clear photos Idle.
My guess is that engine has never been flushed properly and on top of that different grades/ brands of anti-fleeze liquid had been added and mixed over the years. Good thing that you caught this now. You can probably expect that kind of build up all through the secondary cooling system.
I am am quite surprised that the engine is not over heating.

Not a difficult job but a bit time consuming.
There are different products on the market that will dissolve the build up.
The easiest one to get your hands on is vinegar.

1. remove and completely clean the heat exchanger.
(there are lots of youtube vids available and most are selling a wonder product)
2. Fill the engine block with vinegar. Try to find the lower drain cock for the engine. Connect a hose to it to collect the vinegar when you drain. This cock is very often seized up from non use. Leave for a day of two. Drain. You can strain the vinegar for chunks and use once more if you feel the need.
3. Remove all hoses and soak them in vinegar.
4. Remove thermostat and test . Descale it if necessary.
5. Refit everything. Inspect hoses and hose clips. Replace if suspect.
6. Fill system with fresh water. leave standing for a few hours and flush.
7. Fill with specified coolant. Buy and extra container and you will have enough for life.

If you can't find or budge the engine drain cock, you will have to use the lowest hose attachment to drain. probably a bit mess but not much other choice.

Best of luck
gary

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020
Hunter 27 Hoboken
Good clear photos Idle.
My guess is that engine has never been flushed properly and on top of that different grades/ brands of anti-fleeze liquid had been added and mixed over the years. Good thing that you caught this now. You can probably expect that kind of build up all through the secondary cooling system.
I am am quite surprised that the engine is not over heating.

Not a difficult job but a bit time consuming.
There are different products on the market that will dissolve the build up.
The easiest one to get your hands on is vinegar.

1. remove and completely clean the heat exchanger.
(there are lots of youtube vids available and most are selling a wonder product)
2. Fill the engine block with vinegar. Try to find the lower drain cock for the engine. Connect a hose to it to collect the vinegar when you drain. This cock is very often seized up from non use. Leave for a day of two. Drain. You can strain the vinegar for chunks and use once more if you feel the need.
3. Remove all hoses and soak them in vinegar.
4. Remove thermostat and test . Descale it if necessary.
5. Refit everything. Inspect hoses and hose clips. Replace if suspect.
6. Fill system with fresh water. leave standing for a few hours and flush.
7. Fill with specified coolant. Buy and extra container and you will have enough for life.

If you can't find or budge the engine drain cock, you will have to use the lowest hose attachment to drain. probably a bit mess but not much other choice.

Best of luck
gary
This is awesome—thanks so much. I’ll report back with results!

Nov 3, 2018
Cape Dory, Albin 300ms Motorsailer, Vega Baltimore
MaineSail has a post somewhere about flushing the cooling system using RidLime and an external pump to recirculate the solution through the engine. Basically, you disconnect the heat exchanger and use the engine coolant feeds to draw the liquid out of a 5 gallon bucket and dump back into the bucket. A 12 V pump moves the liquid through the engine. After the RidLime you rinse with distilled water. You o have to remove the thermostat to get complete circulation. I built a little kit base on his instructions and now do a coolant flush and replacement at every haul out. It’s pretty simple once you get everything assembled. This is also a good time to take your heat exchanger to the local radiator shop for an acid wash and pressure test.

Jan 3, 2020
Hunter 27 Hoboken
MaineSail has a post somewhere about flushing the cooling system using RidLime and an external pump to recirculate the solution through the engine. Basically, you disconnect the heat exchanger and use the engine coolant feeds to draw the liquid out of a 5 gallon bucket and dump back into the bucket. A 12 V pump moves the liquid through the engine. After the RidLime you rinse with distilled water. You o have to remove the thermostat to get complete circulation. I built a little kit base on his instructions and now do a coolant flush and replacement at every haul out. It’s pretty simple once you get everything assembled. This is also a good time to take your heat exchanger to the local radiator shop for an acid wash and pressure test.
Thanks for the tips!

Apr 15, 2022
Beneteau Beneteau 411 Newport
Hey all!
I found out why the coolant overflow wasn't draining into the exhaust manifold--clogged with antifreeze crystals.
I've checked the manual but I cant tell if this hole goes straight through, I don't want to drill through the manifold by accident.

Also--does a regular flush get rid of these heavier deposits, if not, what's the plan?

Thanks!
View attachment 174473View attachment 174474
Hi, I read with interest your old post. I have a Westerbeke 44A and found the exact same problem in the Exhaust Manifold and elbow, preventing coolant from reaching expansion tank. After unscrewing the elbow I have cleaned any build up I could see in the hole but still no air or coolant flows through (I reattached hose and tried to blow). I am afraid to drill through the aluminum of the manifold. There must be another little hole inside the rim of the pressure cap connecting the two but cannot see it. Did you ever find out the exact location of the "second" hole leading to the manifold? It would help to know where to look/clean. Thanks a million

Attachments