West Marine winter hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I was a little surprised to find that our local West Marine store had "winter hours" that included the closing of the store on Sunday & Monday. I just wondered if they are doing this in some other areas. Maybe it is just stores that are not producing this time of the year?

This store is in Reno, NV.

Sep 25, 2008
Morgan 415 Out Island Rogersville, AL
The unemployment rate in NV is 14.5%, probably worse in Reno. WM must be struggling there.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I was a little surprised to find that our local West Marine store had "winter hours" that included the closing of the store on Sunday & Monday. I just wondered if they are doing this in some other areas. Maybe it is just stores that are not producing this time of the year?

This store is in Reno, NV.
Hi Steve,
It has been a while since I was in that part of the country, but leaving from Sacramento I believe there is a furnace called Redman, California. It was about as hot and dry as my charcoal grill. Then you travel up the Feather River into the Sierras to a place called Donner Pass where that wagon train got stuck in the snow in October. One half of them died and the rest ate (fill in the rest). Reno is on the other side of the mountains with about as much to do in winter as Nantucket. I'm not surprised about WM but I would like to know where you can sail without having to take your boat out to turn it around? ;)
All U Get

Last edited:
Dec 2, 1999
Snotter: The highest unemployement is actually in L.V. (you do know that is part of our state don't you? <g>

Seriously, I think some think that Las Vegas is like the Vatican (it's own country). This is the real problem with the state.

The unemployement rate in Northern Nevada is around 13+%. Las Vegas has 142,000 or the 192,000 unemployed folks in the state. We have seen a decrease of about 70,000 people in the state population. Nothing is going to get much better until they solve the excess inventory of houses in Las Vegas.

Nevada & California (recent update) state employees have a 1 day a month unpaid furlough (essentially a 5% pay cut) each month. They have also frozen our pay for the pay 16 months and this will extend into June 2011 at the best.

Just happy to see that my job is half way secure.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Hi Steve,
It has been a while since I was in that part of the country, but leaving from Sacramento I believe there is a furnace called Redman, California. It was about as hot and dry as my charcoal grill. Then you travel up the Feather River into the Sierras to a place called Donner Pass where that wagon train got stuck in the snow in October. One half of them died and the rest ate (fill in the rest). Reno is on the other side of the mountains with about as much to do in winter as Nantucket. I'm not surprised about WM but I would like to know where you can sail without having to take your boat out to turn it around? ;)
All U Get
Dude... too many Margarita's... set the dube down, back off and study a map before you start ragging on God's country.... because your geography is way, way off... As far as lakes to sail on in the area... well there's LAKE FREAKIN' TAHOE for one.. and there's another large lake northeast of Reno called Pyramid lake... other than that there are only about a dozen or more recreation sized lakes within 50 miles of Reno... in fact there's the picturesque Donner Lake just below the pass that is easily visible from I 80. How could you miss that?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Yup. But we do have winter here.
Gee... they have winter in the Reno/Tahoe area also, lots of snow... there's like 15 or 20 ski resorts in the area....so people don't tow their boats up that time of year.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Not Just Cold in the Winter

One of the coldest nights I ever spent was doing survival training out in the woods there at Stead AFB.

It was in July.

Dec 2, 1999
Well the first large body of water is Lake Tahoe 26 x 13 miles. Not too bad of a sail for the day.

Then you drive down the hill to Sacramento and you have about 1,000 miles of water ways that lead to the San Pablo & San Francisco Bays (about 45 miles from our base).

For those who have smaller boats (trailer sailors) there is Lake Lahanton out east of Carson City, Lake Shasta or several other Sierra lakes.

The aforementioned HOT SPOT is Redding California. Yes it can get warm there in the summer months (110-118), but it is a "dry heat" (ya).

So here we are at Hidden Harbor Marina. Deep in the heart of the Delta (3 hrs from home-to-harbor). We do it most every Friday afternoon.

http://hiddenharbormarina.com/

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Well the first large body of water is Lake Tahoe 26 x 13 miles. Not too bad of a sail for the day.

Then you drive down the hill to Sacramento and you have about 1,000 miles of water ways that lead to the San Pablo & San Francisco Bays (about 45 miles from our base).

For those who have smaller boats (trailer sailors) there is Lake Lahanton out east of Carson City, Lake Shasta or several other Sierra lakes.

The aforementioned HOT SPOT is Redding California. Yes it can get warm there in the summer months (110-118), but it is a "dry heat" (ya).

So here we are at Hidden Harbor Marina. Deep in the heart of the Delta (3 hrs from home-to-harbor). We do it most every Friday afternoon.

http://hiddenharbormarina.com/
Hi Guys,
Like I said, it was a while since I had been in the neighborhood. A group of us lobstamen were flown into Redman and then traveled by bus straight up in the air to Quincy. We were given shovels and traveled in military 6X6's way up on top of one of those hills to put out a brush fire. There must have been a pond somewhere cause we saw people draggin boats up and down that road. Must be nice when it's not burning. Joe's right about the Margaritas, my doc said give them up or I'll get lime disease. :D:D
All U Get

Status
Not open for further replies.