West Marine Inventory

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I had to pick up a simple through hull fitting for my bilge pump outlet. I didn't order it on line here since I wanted the part in-hand for comparison. Anyhow, I went to two WM's and was struck by the empty bins and shallow inventory. Fortunately, there was an independent chandlery near by who had the part. So, I had to wonder if the lack of basic inventory is a reflection of capital constraint or a management tool to control costs? Maybe it's a local issue? Have you noticed similar in your area?

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 36mkII Alameda, CA
The store in Alameda CA looks to be more into fishing, trailer supplies, clothing and Kayaks.
They do not have alot of blocks and sailing hardware. They do have electrical parts, some plumbing parts (almost no hoses).
There are also other limited parts but it is hit and miss in my opinion.
I find I have to order online for most of what I need.
Definately not the West Marine of old.
I guess I am also at a good place as I never find antything I need in any of their sale catalogs.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The gossip I have heard deals with a new ownership out of Shanghi, and overload of inventory that in part is stale. I had an issue with a PFD replacement charge. The shelf stock looked new in package. Staff said they had just been restocked. There should have been multiple years (at least 5) of useful life. There was 6 months, still selling a list price. Store staff said this was happening frequently.

Hope they have deep pockets.

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
As I understand it from a West Marine manager, its latest model is to take orders and have it available the next day or two. This way they are not sitting on inventory which is cash spent. Keeping their cash in banks getting interest and paying their purchase orders at a 30, 60 or 90 day Net, is good business practice. Unfortunately we, the consumers are affected. I sometimes go to WM just to browse. The aisles are sparsely stocked. Daily I get WM notices via email, but it's not items I would like. Someone mentioned more fishing, clothing and shoes. That has changed with the new CEO, however it's not happening fast enough. I recently went to a used parts place. If you're not fussy, and have good cleaning or refurbishing capabilities, these places can be good for the thrifty amongst us. I just picked up a 3 blade bronze prop for $95. It cleaned up nicely and all the edges are in good shape. I also put it on a balancer and it was good all around. It will get installed next year when the boat gets hauled for bottom paint.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Anytime my wife has more stuff to look through than I do means I’m in the wrong place!
The local WM here looks more like a REI store or Marshall’s than a boat store

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I think that WM is trying to manage inventory and as Rick D posted may be constrained in capital. I read somewhere that they've had an infusion of capital, I guess from new investors. But fundamentally they are being squeezed by Amazon, who sell at an average of 30% discount from WM prices. Hence the new retail options at WM such as BOPUS (Buy online, pick up in store) and other options. They are challenged by Amazon who doesn't have to carry the inventory. I think WM has to move toward an online store - maybe with pickup locations. I've noticed that they are using "Pickup Services" which are independent carriers that pick up BOPUS orders at the store for clients willing to pay a modest delivery fee. The pick up drivers are comparable to Door Dash or other delivery services.
It isn't the WM of old, but then it isn't the world of old.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I think that WM is trying to manage inventory and as Rick D posted may be constrained in capital. I read somewhere that they've had an infusion of capital, I guess from new investors. But fundamentally they are being squeezed by Amazon, who sell at an average of 30% discount from WM prices. Hence the new retail options at WM such as BOPUS (Buy online, pick up in store) and other options. They are challenged by Amazon who doesn't have to carry the inventory. I think WM has to move toward an online store - maybe with pickup locations. I've noticed that they are using "Pickup Services" which are independent carriers that pick up BOPUS orders at the store for clients willing to pay a modest delivery fee. The pick up drivers are comparable to Door Dash or other delivery services.
It isn't the WM of old, but then it isn't the world of old.
Yes, I lost a solar vent during a tack. Totally my fault. I checked WM. $249. Checked Amazon. $189 from the mfg. I don't mind spending a bit more when I need it quickly, but $60?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
West Marine has suffered from Private Equity firms that buy businesses and then take the profits and sell it off. About a year ago they were in bankruptcy proceedings when an agreement was reached with the Private Equity firm that owned WM, where the firm would provide a cash infusion. The PE firm has backing from a French firm according to the article linked below. No connection to any Chinese firm was mentioned in the article.

WM has really increased the frequency of it sales and seems to be trying to drive business back to the stores. They are also doing a lot drop shipping, i.e., taking orders and having the manufacturer ship from their warehouse. This is not an uncommon practice for businesses for items that inventory costs are high and turn over low. In the past year I've purchased a couple of Lewmar products through West, in both cases the items were drop shipped with very good delivery times, 2 or 3 days.

Prices at WM are sometimes lower than anywhere else, a Lewmar hatch I purchased was cheaper than anywhere else, including Defender. On the other hand, I often find Defender to be less expensive than my WM Pro account price.

Another example of the demise of a quality speciality equipment store, is Eastern Mountain Sports. EMS when from a well respected and well staffed outdoor equipment provider, rivaling REI. They were bought out by a PE firm and now they are a mediocre outdoor clothing store with a smattering of quality camping, climbing, and kayaking, etc inventory.

Just search for West Marine Bankruptcy to find more articles.