West Coast of Lake Huron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
East(!) Coast of Lake Huron

Thank you who responded to my request about the North Channel!

How about focusing on the trip up there, on the west coast of Lake Huron. Point Edwards to Bayfield looks like a long leg. Then there are the islands and bays from Kincardine Tobermory. Do you recommend stops to break up these legs? Where to you stop on the way there?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
J

James P

West Coast or East Coast

You seem to be asking about Canadian Ports, which to me would be the East coast of Lake Huron (but the West coast of Ontario). I have some experience with the Michigan ports, if you are interested.

Which coast are you interested in?

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 36 Port Clinton, OH
David, First, how much time do you have for the trip? I have made the trip to the North Channel four times the past six years traveling both Michigan and Ontario coasts. Our first trip we had 7-8 weeks so time was never an element. Our first trip I decided to stop at all the Canadian Ports on the way to Killarney, so we stopped at Windsor, Sarnia, Bayfield, Goderich, Kincardine, Port Elgin, Tobermorey, Club Island and Killarney.
Bayfield is a nice tourist town, been there once.They had a nice bakery and pool at the marina in Goderich, and we always plan to be in Kincardine for the Saturday Pipers Parade. Port Elgin is a must stop because going to Tobermorey from here is a long trip. The trip to Killarney is shortened with a stop at Club Island, weather permitting.

When you arrive at Sarnia or Port Huron, the weather might dictate what coastline you travel.
In 2008 we stopped at Port Sanilac and Port Austin in Michigan, then over to Kincardine and up the Canadian coast to Tobermorey. That year we spent a month in lower Georgian Bay Islands near Midland, them to the North Channel stopping at Parry Sound, The Bustards, and Collins Inlet.
The nice part about Michigan VS Ontario is the Michigan Marinas are clean, and $1/ft. You will spend $1.50-2.00/ft in Canada
Drop by Brands Marina some time in the fall if you want more information. I haul out Oct 5

Jack F Stewart
1993 C36 #1233 "Windancer"
Port Clinton, OH
jfssail@neo.rr.com

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Isn't that what we were answering as well.

It's all going to depend on how long of a day you want to do. 4, 6 10, 12, 24 hours of sailing are all very different.

Point Edwards to Bayfield is only 45 nm which would be +/- 9 hours of sailing at 5 knots IF the winds are in the right direction.

I stole this from Dave CS271409 on Sailnet in the Lake Huron Destinations forum. This is all the stops on the CDN side of Huron. All marinas and no anchorages.

Grand Bend - Very few transient slips. Likely too close to Sarnia for a first stop. Grand Bend is a summer party town if that is your thing.
Bayfield - There are several marinas in Bayfield and an excellent marine shop if you are in need of repairs or supplies. The Village of Bayfield is very pretty with some fabulous restaurants and shops. (but who cares about that, we're sailors arent we!)

Goderich - This is a bulk freighter port with recreational slips. You can get in there safely even under the worst conditions. I've never stopped there so I have no opinion on the harbour.
Kincardine - Nice harbour close to downtown. One of our favourites.
Port Elgin - This is a great harbour with a very nice beach and summer events in the park. It is a kilometer or so to walk to the main street if you need provisions. It is slightly indented in the curve of the Bruce Penn and adds an hour or more to our straight run from Bayfield to Tobermory.
Southampton - There is no longer a harbour in Southampton that can take anything close to a 42 footer with 5'6". Port Elgin is the only option there.
Next stop - Tobermory.
Kincardine and Port Elgin are not expensive. I'll check my log and post the per foot rate we paid last year.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Yes, I did mean the _East_ or Canadian coast of Lake Huron - thanks for the good info anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.