We're now encrypted

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Google has spoken, and in their infinite wisdom has deemed that all sites shall be encrypted for security. Actually, it's a good idea.

This evening we modified the site to serve all pages using the https protocol, which does exactly that. Naturally, the change took much longer than anticipated and during that time (approx. 6pm to 10pm PST) site navigation was a bit of trainwreck. I believe we have everything back to normal now.

However, in all those exacting keystrokes it's likely we missed one or made a typo somewhere so please let us know here you run into a broken link or image.

Thanks for your patience!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I guess that is why I know get a line across the bottom that says "only secure content is displayed. What's the risk" And then a "Show all content " button. That's a pain in the button.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Hopefully, that's resolved. If you see that anywhere please post the address (url). Thanks!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Glad to hear it Phil. I had heard both Chrome and Firefox would start warning users if they tried to login with passwords to http sites. It's nice to know that users of this site won't have to worry about any such warning.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
It's because you can see Russia from your HQ in Seattle. You should move somewhere sunny, like West Texas! They'll never find ya there :)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
It's because you can see Russia from your HQ in Seattle. You should move somewhere sunny, like West Texas! They'll never find ya there :)
Yep. I'd hate to think that someone could hack into my account and change my avatar to someone sinister.

Attachments

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Kind of ironic when you consider that it's Google themselves that steals your information and sells it. that being said, the really destructive hacks WILL come at some point, so it's good to put up walls where we can.
Thanks Phil, for all you do!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I know Kermit's being tongue in cheek about the impact of http, but for the benefit of others reading the thread wondering why the upgrade is important - I think it's a great thing to protect both SBO users and the reputation of SBO itself. For example, if you were browsing SBO from open wifi, like what's at Starbucks, a bad guy could inject malware into the SBO site on its way to you. Then you look at the page and get infected with the malware. The user just assumes that SBO was the source of the malware, because that's the page they were looking at when they got infected. By using HTTPS it's much less likely that someone could infect you in that way.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Thanks, Phil. That reminded that I should also TLS my website. Really don't need to, but it makes it look more 'professional'. :)

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I should also TLS my website
Google will punish you in two ways if you don't: Chrome will throw a security error on any login screen (possibly any form). And, they will drop you in the search result rankings. I think they also mock you in the IT lunchroom, but that's just a rumor. :)

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Just checking in after the weekend... no broken links, photos, weirdness (technical-type weirdness) on the site? If so, please let me know.

Feb 17, 2006
Just a tad bit slower for first time login. Had to wait for the certificate and key negotiations, but after that, all appears to be well. Wish I could say the same for my site. My animations don't work because they are not TLS capable. :(

Feb 17, 2006
LOL... fixed the animation problem. I have a style sheet on my page that was pointing to W3.CSS which is unencrypted. So it would not execute the animation. I downloaded the style sheet and put it on my server and now it works again. I feel like the Scare Crow. Whoot. LOL

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Just checking in after the weekend... no broken links, photos, weirdness (technical-type weirdness) on the site? If so, please let me know.
No weirdness here. (Extra credit to the first person who can tell me which movie this is from.)

Attachments