Weld broken Strut?

Apr 24, 2020
Hunter Cheribini 37 South Portland
I have a 1983 Hunter 37 with a broken prop strut. it snapped in half while hauling a lobster trap accidentally. I'm considering welding it back together carefully. does the manganese bronze degrade over the years such that this will not be a good idea? I found a new one but it's $500 and will take two weeks to get. our season in Maine here is only 3 weeks.....

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a former Hunter dealer I would suggest replacing the strut. First it is 38 years old and fatigued. Secondly I would never suggest welding that strut not knowing if at any second it could break particularly. In s storm just to save a buck

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Mine snapped a few years ago , it had been on the boat for 23 years. I found that it had been electrolytically degraded .. Usually when they snap instead of bending, the metal is weakened from corrosion and cannot be welded..

Apr 24, 2020
Mine snapped a few years ago , it had been on the boat for 23 years. I found that it had been electrolytically degraded .. Usually when they snap instead of bending, the metal is weakened from corrosion and cannot be welded..
this sounds like good advice but how do you know if they have been electrolytically degraded short of snapping?

Apr 24, 2020
As a former Hunter dealer I would suggest replacing the strut. First it is 38 years old and fatigued. Secondly I would never suggest welding that strut not knowing if at any second it could break particularly. In s storm just to save a buck
it's more the two weeks but I understand the good advice.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Dave,
does the SBO store have access to that strut (or the one on my 79 H30C)?

Apr 24, 2020
I called them and found one it's a h 33 by Dahlmer. they sent me to Miller Island Prop. they have one for $465.

• Helpful
Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Our strut broke 2 years ago and we got a new one from SBO. While it's not cheap you know that it's better than one that's been patched. Barring that I would have had my son who is a machinist make one out of stainless steel.

There is another hunter same model as mine on our same dock that had the same problem a year earlier. I'm questioning whether or not the brittleness of the struts was a problem. I was told that our strut was broken due to fatigue not impact.

• Helpful

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Dan,

1 FWIW my strut was fitted with a zinc by the previous owner. Some have expressed doubt as to the value of this but I have maintained the practice. I would be interested in others opinions.

2 Your experience with this problem will be of interest and value to other owners of HC 37's. By now most of us have either replaced, or like me, have 40 year old struts. Please let us know the final details.

Thanks,

John

DCP_0171_cropped.jpg

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I have a 1983 Hunter 37 with a broken prop strut. it snapped in half while hauling a lobster trap accidentally. I'm considering welding it back together carefully. does the manganese bronze degrade over the years such that this will not be a good idea? I found a new one but it's $500 and will take two weeks to get. our season in Maine here is only 3 weeks.....
One of the difficulties here is that you don't likely know what the actual alloy is that your strut is made from. It may be a manganese bronze or it may not be.

Your weld would need to be a structural weld. In addition to all concerns expressed above, to reliably weld this, you'd need to do an analysis of the base alloy to know the actual alloy. You may find that the specific alloy is not even a weldable alloy. By the time you are done with the background work to be certain of successful welding, you will spend more money than the cost of a new strut. On top of that you may have discovered the alloy is not weldable and then you'll be way over budget..... Just my 2 cents worth.

dj