Welcome to the new Cruising Sailors forum... and tips on logging in

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Sometimes the Mac remembers stuff we thought we got rid of
LOL, you'd think something like that would expire with the session, but yeah, Mac...

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I think if the page you are on when you exit is the focus page, it will reappear when you restart the browser. Try opening another tab before you exit the browser. Make sure that the blank tab is the focused page. Hopefully the unfocused page will not come back when you restart the browser. Hopefully is the key word here. LOL

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Pacific Seacraft Orion27 HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
OK, I think I've made it here... this is just a test post. Let's see if it works. And hey, thanks for keeping it alive Phil. CSBB and TSBB have always been good resources.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Well, the biggest issue I see so far is not knowing where the newest posts are. With the old style, the new posts always were shown at the top... then one would go into the post and see that it followed a thread that could be quite old.

This thread centric showing somewhat obscures that aspect.

Of course there may be a way to turn on that option individually... I have to admit I have not tried all the functions here, yet.

Still and all, nice to see "the board" carrying on.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Well, the biggest issue I see so far is not knowing where the newest posts are. With the old style, the new posts always were shown at the top... then one would go into the post and see that it followed a thread that could be quite old.

This thread centric showing somewhat obscures that aspect.

Of course there may be a way to turn on that option individually... I have to admit I have not tried all the functions here, yet.

Still and all, nice to see "the board" carrying on.
Hi Gene! I haven't taken advantage of customizing my page, yet. New posts show up a few ways.

I've been going to the main forums page and just clicking "New Posts". Obviously, that shows the list of the latest posts regardless of forum.

Also; while on the main forums page, new posts show up on the right of the page, in order. And these also show the forum the posts are in. Handy.

Or the "Alerts" at the top right icon is red which means a new post is in something you've posted in. That's where I saw you posted - twice, in this thread.

And of course you can go right to the CS board and see if anything is highlighted which tells of new posts.

Good to see you here, a few old posters are drifting back in.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
not knowing where the newest posts are
Just about any list of posts you see will have the threads with the most recent activity at the top of the list.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
OK, I see how it works... the "new post" button of course "highlights" the new posts.

I too am glad to see some of the old gang here... especially considering the history of this place... being bounced from one host to another... uggg.

Of course the real question is whether this new forum will weather the difficulties of slow internet connections... which was in fact one of the reasons for the use of that older format, and the "photoday" as a single day. Of course it could very well be that that those that could, have upgraded their internet capabilities these days... to at least a 56k modem. GRIN

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Of course the real question is whether this new forum will weather the difficulties of slow internet connections... which was in fact one of the reasons for the use of that older format, and the "photoday" as a single day. Of course it could very well be that that those that could, have upgraded their internet capabilities these days... to at least a 56k modem. GRIN
Aye. Photo-heavy threads are a pet peeve of mine. I always look forward to visiting Mexico for the increase in download speed, among other things.

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
Something I learned years ago is to use a small thumbnail of the photo in the web page - which links to the larger photo if desired by the viewer. But I was doing the pages in html using Notepad - don't know if the new 'turbo' page editors give that option any more??