Weird "sailboat"

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Looks like it will make a comfortable duck blind once cammo'd properly! ;-)

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
For someone that is touting himself as an "experienced boat builder" I'm wondering how he got it out of the bottle. The term "fair" clearly is not in his venacular.
I can't believe is sails well with no keel at all. Perhaps that is the genious that is not apparent in the pictures, sails well with no keel and a 5' mast.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Hmm, I would like to see some of the other "boats" he built.

That sail rig looks like it will snap in a decent gust. And forget about sailing upwind. You will be lucky to tack thru 180°.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Guys...

I'm almost certain that is a Bolger design. If not it is definitely Bolger inspired. Bolger boats have a reputation of being butt ugly but remarkably roomy and decent sailing sailboats. The boat uses a leeboard for lateral resistance and a wide beam for stability Also the rig is a modern take on a Polynesian crab claw. They are remarkably fast rigs. If you look at the uTube you will see that the crab claw is mounted to a T-bar. As you tack you bring the bar over and the sail changes sides. You also "reef" by swinging the t-bar into the horizontal. The more horizontal, the less heel. The beauty is you also get lift in the vertical when the t-bar is horizontal. So the boat gets pulled up out of the water and you move remarkably fast in heavy air.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
looks like some of the 'stitch and glue' construction.

plenty of boat plans for that type around.

Sep 28, 2008
Canadian Sailcraft CS27 Victoria B.C.
It does say he "I spared no expense in building this boat" :D

May be stitch and glue but he does say the "Hull is over 1' thick."

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
You would be surprised on how tough these can be.

http://www.texas200.com/
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/

You need to step off of your 40 footer once in a while...
I have no problem with the crab claw rig. I have a problem with the seemingly fragile components he used.

And I have been on plenty of boats other than my 40 footer...but you already know that after reading my profile, right?

txjim

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 170 Grapevine Lake, TX
I have no problem with the crab claw rig. I have a problem with the seemingly fragile components he used.

And I have been on plenty of boats other than my 40 footer...but you already know that after reading my profile, right?
Have not read it but I have no doubts you know your way around small craft! My point was that looks can be deceiving and this sort of boat can withstand much more that you give them credit for. I've built my share of PDRacers (similiar construction) and know they have limitations but have yet to have one let me down. Sane people will not take them far offshore but they are not designed for that type of sailing.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Have not read it but I have no doubts you know your way around small craft! My point was that looks can be deceiving and this sort of boat can withstand much more that you give them credit for. I've built my share of PDRacers (similiar construction) and know they have limitations but have yet to have one let me down. Sane people will not take them far offshore but they are not designed for that type of sailing.
No worries Jim. The boat looks built like a tank but the thin spars and lines just seem to be the weak link.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
It's just UGLY.... that's a deal breaker for me.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
one view shows a leeboard. But life is too short to build ugly boats.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
This boat is all function and little form. Sort of like comparing a Hummer to a Corvette.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
NO! more like a Hugo to a Lexus.

Apr 28, 2005
Oday 302 Lake Perry, KS
"Cabin is spacious..."

Interesting sales pitch for the interior:

" Cabin is spacious for its size. Cabin is a full 8 feet by 4 feet. Will sleep two people."

That's a cabin footprint the size of a sheet of plywood. Hmmm. Those two people better know each other very well.

Jul 18, 2009
marine clipper 21 ft santa ana Southern Lakes,Yukon
Re: "Cabin is spacious..."

she would be the talk of the town if she was an outhouse..

Status
Not open for further replies.