Weight of Mast and Boom

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alan Nye

I am in the process of moving my newly purchased Hunter 376 from Florida to Vermont (actually my father is bringing it north). When we get in the Hudson, I need to unstep the mast in order to travel the Champlain Barge Canal. I was wondering if anyone knew the weight of the mast on this model. Also, I am thinking of leaving the main tied to the boom when I remove that, thereby making my live easier with the dutchman flaking system so does anyone have an ider of what the combined weight of the boom and mainsail is. Thanks Alan

D

Don Alexander

Mast Weight

Alan, I have just measured my drawing of the Z Spars section Z601 as used on my 376 and it calculates as approximately 5.4 Kg per metre. Accepting the masthead is 60' above water as claimed, and the mast step to be about 5' above water, then the mast will be about 55' long or 16.75 metres. This makes the weight of the stick alone in the region of 90 Kg (or 200 lb. in old money). Now add for four spreaders, some fittings, electrical wires & instruments etc, plus all the rigging wire and you have a tidy old weight. Believe me it needs quite a tall crane and, as the strop will only go just under the lower spreaders it might need someone standing in a rope loop tied to the mast heel to keep it upright when craned out. A bit like a fishing float. Its a job for the pros.

Status
Not open for further replies.