Weight of Factory original trailer for Mac 26D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2006
Macgregor 26D Arcadia
I've been asked the towing weight for my 26D and trailer. Does anyone have the answer? Thanks

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
MacGregor 26D and Catalina 30 26 - 30 Lancaster, CA
1988 Mac 26D

I've been asked the towing weight for my 26D and trailer. Does anyone have the answer? Thanks
My book says that empty weight is 1675 pounds and the trailer is 525 pounds.
Max weight can not exceed 2750 pounds.
Tongue weight should be 200 - 250 pounds.

Mar 2, 2006
Macgregor 26D Arcadia
Re: 1988 Mac 26D

Thank you; it would have been good if the trailer had really been designed to give 200lbs at the tongue without moving motor, rudder, etc., as far forward as possible, or having to relocate the axle aft.

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
Tongue Weight

I have the IdaRudder and Honda 7.5 motor on the back all the time but I tow with a Chev 3500 Dually. We just went round trip to Havasu for the HPCC and pulled at 60 MPH. I repacked the wheel bearings and put on new trailer tires. I was able to get 12+ MPG.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I need to weigh ours, but I'm guessing 3300-3600 lbs going down the road. We keep the Nissan 5 HP dinghy outboard and the 9.8 HP main outboard on the back, plus a 19 gallon inboard gas tank in the laz. Usually about 14 gallons of water on the road with a total of over 40 on the water, plus food for a month and a bunch more in supplies, tools and equipment in the boat. I don't tow with our IdaSailor rudder on, but put it in the back of the Suburban.

We added a second axle/brakes and as close as I can tell we have 350-400 lbs on the tongue/hitch ball.

We might possibly have the heaviest S out there :redface:,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Jun 17, 2007
MacGregor Mac26S Victoria Tx
I have weighed mine on scales. Depending on gear, 3200 - 3500lbs. 350lbs tongue weight.

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
Keeping it lite.

Sum - I knew you would weigh in on this subject. LOL!
Didn't you have to raise your water line 1" on the boat?
Mine is pretty lite and we were making 6.4 knots at lake Havasu with a big genoa out front. Some of the gusts were exciting and I had to roller her in a few times.

Attachments

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Sum - I knew you would weigh in on this subject. LOL!
Didn't you have to raise your water line 1" on the boat?....
Sounds like you guys had a great time. We might be there next year :).

Knowing how we load the boat and with the mods I.....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/outside-39.html

....... did raise the waterline 1 inch, to the bottom of the green tape above.

I'm glad that I did. From what Mike said I would say that we are probably at least 3800 lbs. at the beginning of a trip with fuel, water, and other supplies for 30+ days on board. One thing is that there are just the two of us, so don't have extra crew weight that can add up also.

Here is the boat...

...... At the beginning of our Lake Powell trip......

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/MacgregorTrips-3-Powell09/Powell-2009-index.html

....... where we had provisioned for 30 days. This was before moving the waterline up and it was in the water to the stripe.

Here is the boat the first day ......

....in the water on our last trip in Florida.......

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/FL-fall-2010/Florida-2010-index.html

........ We now had about 6 more gallons of fuel with the inboard tank and about 10 gallons more water and quite a bit of extra items compared to the Lake Powell trip. We are right at the top of the bottom paint there. By the end of 25 days we were sitting lower.

I'm still going to put on a boot stripe above the bottom paint. Just ran out of time before the trip :cry:. We will probably repaint the stripe along the top also at the same time so that they match.

c ya,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Status
Not open for further replies.