weight and towing of a catalina 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

doug loudenslager

We just purchased a catalina 22 ft. (1988). The spouse of the previous owner (he passed away this spring) suggested that the boat and trailer would weigh around 2800 pounds. Is this in the ballpark for the 22? Has anyone had any experience towing the 22 with a Pontiac Montana Van with the towing package? Too much for this type of vehicle? Thanks for your help.

V

Vania O'Connor

Towing

Doug, According to the original brochure for a 1970's C22, the retractable keel displacement is approx 2230 lbs and the fin keel is approx. 2490 lbs. If you have the title for the trailer, the gross weight of the trailer should be there. You could call a trailer dealer and ask what the approx. weight could be of yours (give desc.). As for the vehicle, I have the fin keel version with a custom steel built trailer. Now, I only need to move it twice a year, since I keep in on a mooring. However, I pull it quite easily with a Nissan Altima. I would think that your van would do the trick. But you should compare the pull weight approved for the vehicle to the total weight of the boat and trailer and decide. Take it around the block or to an empty parking lot and give her a spin. Good luck, Vania

D

Dean Bachelor

don't forget brakes!

You want to be sure the brakes on the van and the trailer work properly. A small vehicle will tow a heavy load but stopping is another thing. Like the other response check it out in a large parking lot. Have fun.

F

Frank Gazzano

Towing, Moving, and Launching

...are all different things with the requiremetns on power, brakes, and most importantly when lanching, traction, all needing to be considered. I move my C22 with a little Nissan pickup. The launch ramp is at a very shallow angle but with the extended tongue on the trailer launching is fine. Retreival usually results in the slight smell of burnt clutch afterwards and I know I couldn't do it if the ramp were any steeper, or at less then high tide when I'd be on the slippery part of the ramp. Anyway for all you want to know about 22's check out the C22 National website and browse the technical section or order the tech manual. Another good tech manual is from Catalina Direct in Sacramento, you can search for their web site. Fair winds. Frank

F

F SONDERGAARD

CAT 22

WE TOWED OUR 22 WITH A CHEVY S-10 4 CYLINDER TRUCK, WITH NO PROBLEM. I DON'T REMEMBER THE WEIGHT OF THE BOAT, BUT THAT INFORMATION IS ON THIS WEB-SITE.

B

Brad Williams

You're probably looking at 3500 lbs...maybe more

I say that figuring that the boat is 2500 lbs, trailer is around 800 - 1000. With engine and personal gear, you are easily at 3500 lbs. Manufacturer's are horrible at listing accurate weights for trailerables. Or at best misleading and giving you only a bare skeleton of a boat, with no "stuff" (ie sails, cushions, galley, etc.). I towed an 88 wingkeel with a Toyota 4-runner 6 banger. I wouldn't want to have towed an extra pound on the highway above what I had. Brad

L

Larry Watkins

Tow the C22

Doug; Your van will tow the C-22 just fine, even better if you have a larger V-6 to allow for AC. The weight is less than 3K, so you don't need trailer brakes. If you have them, and are launching in salt water, remove them, they're more headache than they're worth.

B

Brad Williams

Larry, ain't no way he's towing less than 3000 lbs

Granted, I am at altitude -- Denver -- but my 4-Runner is rated at 5,000 lbs (whatever it is that that means) and like I implied, I wouldn't have wanted to tow another lb above what I did. Now, if Doug is only towing in a parking lot, I'd say okay. Otherwise, I think not. Brad

L

Larry Watkins

C-22 towing

Brad; You are wrong. The combined weight of the C-22 and the Trailright trailer I used to own was less than 3000 lbs. When I was trailering it, I saw many being pulled by Toyota trucks, many of them 4X4s, some two-wheel drives. The four-bys did better pulling up the ramp in Long Beach, CA, but the two-wheel drives could manage it. I towed mine with a '71 El Camino, admittedly a V8, but the brakes handled the load just fine, just don't forget you have a load back there.

J

J. Carter

Towing weight

Doug, load your boat with everything you routinely carry in it, motor, full gas tank, and picnic stuff as examples, then tow it to a commercial scale and get it weighed (while unhitched from your vehicle). You will have a pretty accurate weight that will vary only by what you add or eliminate per trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.