weeping keel bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jchealey

1977 cat-30 shoal draft,cast iron keel bolts,hairline crack 1/4 of keel joint,replacing keel bolts or are they part of a grid in the keel? insurance claim or am i S.O.L? bolts are weeping and i may be also.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Get a yard to look at it

Hopefully you can supply them with a little more description than you supplied here. :) A good yard should be able to tell you what the problem is - a surveyor would work well too. LaDonna

C

chboyle

tighten bolts

There are several possiblities. First of all see if there is any room to tighten your existing bolts. This is a possbility especially if your boat is hauled every year. If this is possible, then tighten and re-fair your keel step. Just re-fairing may take care of the problem. In any event you should have a yard examine your keel and bolts since the safety of you and your passengers is at stake.

C

chboyle

P.S.

Most insurance companies will not cover this since it is considered routine maintenance. If the bolts are badly coroded/rusted they can be replaced. Ask at your local yard and they will direct you to a reputable company that will replace your bolts. Also they willl more that likely have to replace all since most now will only install stainless steel and you could have a reaction problem with the new stainless and the old steel. Good luck!

C

chboyle

PPS

There is a company in R.I. called Broomfield's that does this work for $200.00 per bolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.