Weekend Login Difficulties

Dave

Forum Admin, Gen II
Staff member
Feb 1, 2023
Over the weekend a number of SBO members experienced difficulties accessing the forums. There were 2 separate causes and one common reason.

The first issue blocked visitors from viewing the forums, visitors include SBO members who were not logged in. This started on Friday afternoon and when I first learned of the problem on Sunday morning, it was quickly corrected.

The second issue which began Sunday afternoon caused some SBO members to be unable to login. While I was made aware of the difficulties on Monday morning, the information I initially received was vague and I was unable to replicate the problem. My predecessor, @Phil Herring stepped in an was able to diagnose and correct the problem.

As much as I would like to place the blame for the problems on ATT and its issues last week, I can't. Both problems were the result of small errors I made while doing some maintenance on the member database.

I apologize for the inconvenience and frustration some of you experienced over the weekend. Be certain there was no hacking of the site and the information in the member database remained secure, it was just 2 simple mistakes I made. Thank you Phil for your quick and effective response.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I was one who reported not being able to access the forums on Sunday.

it was hard to communicate since the site was down (or at blocked from me). I found a way to submit some form of “Ticket” that seemed to go through…

So thanks for working it out… I am back on-line

Greg

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Funny thing for me was i had just made a post jokingly suggesting I needed to stop or potentially get banned.

Glad it's all back now. Thanks for all the hard work.

dj

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Me too.
But when you mess around with computers, s*** happens....

Dave

Forum Admin, Gen II
Staff member
Feb 1, 2023
Funny thing for me was i had just made a post jokingly suggesting I needed to stop or potentially get banned.

Glad it's all back now. Thanks for all the hard work.

dj
Hmmm, maybe we need to be paying closer attention.....:huh:

Cheers!:beer:

• Ha
May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
I was thinking. "What did I do to get myself banned, I'm a good boy?"
Thanks for the effort.

gary

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
I thought it was me !!!
I was moving my router to a better location, adjusting settings, changing names of the log in, adding guest links, passwords and stuff trying to a better WIFI signal. Then tried to log in to SBO and nothing….then the panic hit…..what did I do!
I got to stop going where no man has gone before and stick to sailing.
Thanks for fixing it Dave, but……………..I’m glad it was you and not me!

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I was thinking. "What did I do to get myself banned, I'm a good boy?"
Thanks for the effort.

gary
That was my first thought as well. I contacted another SBO member who "knows people" and asked if I had "stepped in it" and landed in FBO jail.
My wife was concerned because I was showing all of the classic symptoms of withdrawal. ;):beer:

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I think the electronic gremlins just wanted to have a little mid-winter fun.