Weekend "Issues"

Dec 29, 2015
Beneteau 473 Mukilteo WA
Overall, we had a great weekend of sailing. With a few issues. Sailing on a downwind run at 7-8 knots. Real fun. We heard a "clink" from what we ought was down below. Went down to investigate and could't find any thing. 30 min later, we jibed and bang, the boom fell off the mast. We were able to turn arround and go into the wind, then furl the headsail. No problem. With difficulty, we were able to furl the main into the mast. (So it wouldn't beat itself to death and we could work on reattaching the boom.) We got the boom temporary secured and motored back to marina. The next morning, we attached the boom correctly. Then we went out for a day sail. Head sail worked perfectly. The mainsail seams to be jamed in the mast. It will only come out about 1/3. After "playing" with it for 20-30 min, I gave up and sailed with just the headsail. Still getting up to 8 knots and lots of fun. I need some advice on how to get the mainsail out. It seams to have a twist in the leech as it comes out. Any advice is appreciated.

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
The first I'd try is to take the boat out when there is some wind. Turn circles while attempting to unfurl the main keeping the boom centered. The wind force alternately hitting the main sail exerts more force than you can. If it doesn't work, pull the main in and try again. Ultimately, if this process doesn't work, you can try to pull it out tied up on a calm day. First, try fueling the main tighter while not releasing the outhaul. You are trying to get the main sail tighter. The pull her out and just use brute force using you hands to pull on the main where it is stuck. You may have to furl and unfurl several times. If that doesn't help, I'm out of ideas. Good luck.

I'd also suggest trying to see if you can tighten the halyard just a little.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
A person who had this condition had some success using the furl/unfurl method mentioned above. Wetting the sail with a hose seemed to help also. I think pulling the halyard tighter ( if that is possible when the sail is partly furled/unfurled ) might help when the sail is partly unfurled, but not unfurled to the point where it jams.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I have had our main sail give us some trouble coming out after furling during a brisk wind the day before, the suggested steps should get you out the jam. Unfurl to the point at which it is jammed, then see if you can wind the sail tighter on the furler without letting the main go in, then finish furling the main once you are tight on the furler, then unfurl, refurl, unfurl, keep pressure against the outhaul as you are unfurling. Running in circles using the wind to assist is a great idea, but I would only do this in a gentle breeze. Best of luck with your challenge.

Dec 29, 2015
Beneteau 473 Mukilteo WA
Update to the weekend issues. Boom is reattached and after 3 hours of the furl/unfurl and snapping the sail with the wind, I got it. Sail now furls and unfurls nicely. Thanks for all the advice.