Wednesday is Photoday! Won't be long now, launchings, newbs,...

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
My boat is stored on the public landing. Each spring, while I get it ready to launch, I have a ringside seat of the public launching ramp.

A few years ago, this proud couple had just launched their brand new Whaler. They were beaming grins for all to see. He brought the Whaler slowly up to the dock to tie off.

I'm not sure what happened but I think he got nervous of scratching the hull - and at the last minute - he goosed the throttle,... in reverse...

I heard a splash and looked up from my work. She was no longer on the bow seat. Then I noticed her swimming along the dock.

Uh-huh,....

She walked up the ramp and back down the dock, drippping wet, to where he had tied the new boat up. You know those conversations that you really shouldn't look at, but you can't help it? Well, they had one of those conversations (and I -cautiously- took a photo).

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
On a typical day here on Cayuga Lake in mid-summer, the winds generally drop off around 5-6 pm. We and our onboard guests motor in to the slip and tie off for a round of refreshments and some dock time. On one particular evening, the Admiral had prepared a lovely decorated platter of pre-pealed, de-veined, shrimp cocktail. The cooler was opened and the adult beverages began to flow. As the first several shrimp were selected by our guests (very close friends as well) Greg, a very culinary oriented individual says "Hey, WTF, is this supposed to be Shrimp Sushi?" Well the Admiral, a very experienced and self proclaimed chef, reels around and says "What? OMG I must have taken the wrong bag outta the freezer." Now nearly in tears she needs help from the skipper indicating all we have left is some crackers and cheese. Obviously, as skipper, I am concerned for the safety and health of my crew. "Baby, no sweat...we'll fire up the Magma Grill and cook 'em up. Tragedy avoided and best shrimp ever.

The funny part is that little girl and strongly sheepish grin she had on the rest of the night was something that I rarely see...and yes I made her do the grilling.

IMG_0211.JPG

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
TomY: It would appear as though she is reading him the riot act. However, she is not wearing shoes, not wearing a pfd and is soaking wet. He on the other hand is totally dry and is wearing his pfd, can't tell about shoes though. Just sayin.

Nov 30, 2015
Hey BMA, don't you know your not supposed to grill at the dock!? :stir:
Yeah, Kermits got it right. Not on the Dock. OK on the boat. The State Park officer came by and had a skewer of shrimp with us. No issues mate!

Nov 30, 2015
We've got a large slip at the very end of the pier with a six foot wide dock. Perfect for dock sitting and criticizing the bad boater from.

IMG_0210.JPG

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Well, blush, that's not what I meant. I figured SHE was the one grilling at the dock. Seein' how's she's the one that brought the wrong shrimp and all. And quite honestly, I would never have thought twice about doing that. Is that a universal rule or just a local thing? (And I've never heard of anyone in uniform turning down fresh grilled shrimp. Even if it is contraband.)

Nov 30, 2015
Is that a universal rule or just a local thing?
We can't have open flames, as in grills or gas stoves, on the dock. But no issues on the water or boat. Don't know what other locations allow.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
A sunset, somewhere in the middle of Lake Ontario, a couple of years ago.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I heard a splash and looked up from my work. She was no longer on the bow seat. Then I noticed her swimming along the dock.
I hope you were really discrete Tom but well worth the taking the shot. I sure wouldn't want to be that guy.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
JS, thanks for that pic. I've spent many happy hours within 200 yards of that bridge (all on land). Nice to have a reminder of what I still think of as home, even though I've been gone 13 years.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Some of those launch fails are great!
My friends dad a "Newbie" bought a brand new bass boat and trailer quite a few years ago.
Launched to boat for the first time, told his son and I to tie it up to the dock while he parked the truck.
No problem so far, he came back a few minutes later and we cast off and went fishing.
Arrived back to the dock after a truly great day on the water, and tied up to the dock.
He went to get the truck while we off loaded the boat.

This is when everything went bad.
He comes back screaming some stole the trailer call the police.
Police arrived and started making a report and he is calling the insurance company.
Now he is really pissed of now.
That's when one of the officers walks up to him and tells him he thinks he found the trailer.

He pointed to the four tie down straps on the boat.
He never loosened the trailer straps or released the winch. Not to mention engaged the trailer hitch.
So, in a nut shell he launched the boat and trailer, then proceeded to fish all day with the trailer still attached to the boat all day. After this discovery all he wanted to do is crawl under a rock.
We all laughed so hard our sides hurt.

To this day he will never live this down. Every time we talk about it, which is quite often we all laugh till we cry.
You just can't make this stuff up. ‼

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Kermit, we like to destination sail and it's funny that every marina has it's own rule. Oddly enough the place with the least rules we've found so far is Mystic Seaport Museum. We stayed for two nights. They lock you in the museum grounds and give you a gate access card. I can't wait to go back. Dog friendly also.