• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Wednesday is Photo Day

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
No doubt everyone knows about the carnage in Italy due to the corona virus. Places like Venice which are over run by millions of tourists every season have been closed up tight for a few weeks now. Everything in Venice comes by boat (no roads) and of course the canals are opaque to look at and polluted beyond sustaining life. The pollution was thought to be sewage.

In fact (residents are discovering), the pollution these days is more due to the human traffic and wash from roads, buildings and sidewalks.

After a few weeks with no human traffic (excepting a few locals), the canals began to clear up. Locals have been amazed to see the bottoms of the canals for the first time in lifetimes. And without the flow of chemicals and excess sewage or thousands of spinning propellors, small schools of fish have begun to be seen in the clearing water. Unbelievable.

We are loving Venice to death.

Venice canal fish 2.jpeg

Venice canal fish.jpeg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Swimming with the sharks....from the safety of a shark cage. Galapagos sharks off the North Shore of Oahu.View attachment 176432
They're all swimming away. What'd you do, Phil?

Met a couple of those Galapagos Reef Sharks in the Galapagos. Our guide took us all out on a hammerhead safari. Just snorkel equipment, no cages. We tried our best to look like a school of bait fish. I thought we were doing a pretty good job, but no hammerheads showed up except at a distance. Only a curious Galapagos reef shark came out to see what was going on.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser Portland OR, moored EVERETT WA
Did you get to see the Whale Sharks that visit the East side of the reef near Gladden Spit Marine Reserve?

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 Pensacola Shipyard, FL
No. I was snorkeling with my wife who doesn't snorkel because "THERE ARE THINGS IN THE WATER THAT WILL EAT YOU!" Her emphasis, not mine. Anyway we swam along the side of the cut and then crossed over to the other side. She's marveling the whole time. We get back to the boat and she asks when do we go out into the Caribbean? I get to tell her "You remember those two scuba divers way down below us when we crossed over?" "They were in the open ocean."

Swimming pool clarity evidently reduces stress. ;)

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 41971 now in Rockland, ME
Loved the report on Venice - we live on a resilient planet, we just have to give it half a chance! But how to limit the number of tourists?
Re: canals and bridges. Was in Hamburg, Germany recently. More bridges over canals than Venice! U-bahn great for getting around town, S-bahn for visiting the surrounding villages. Spent a few days - could see spending a few weeks!

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 Pensacola Shipyard, FL
I saw pictures of the San Antonio Riverwalk on Twitter today. It has cleared up completely. Not going to stay that way. The city makes way too much money from people riding the riverboats.