Wednesday is Photo Day - 2021

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
It FINALLY HAPPENED! We left the dock again! We even had a great sail for a couple of hours as we wrapped up our week. But I probably need to get out more often and practice my sailing skills. We were overtaken, and there was nothing that I could do about it!

...not that I have ever been fast...

Escapade - 1 (1).jpeg

Martha - 2.jpeg

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Anchored in Southern Harbor on North Haven Island. A shallow soup bowl about a mile wide, it's a good place to escape man-made noise for a spell. Mostly we heard and watched seals, porpoises and seabirds of all kind frolic around us.

IMG-3102.jpg

Off in the distance we watched dozens upon dozens of boats move through a popular thoroughfare. I would say the adage that 90% of boats go to 10% of destinations, is an exageration. More like 2%.

I think I heard a guillemot paddle by my berth in the morning. We had coffee together:

Guillimot morning.jpg

Mid-morning a 4-5 knot southerly filled in.

So as not to break the spell, we raised anchor, hoist sails, and tip-toed out quietly, under sail.

IMG-3127 (1).jpg

Averaging about 3 knots, our first tack about 2.5 NM long ended too soon. Sailing lightly in flat water, the feeling and sounds of sail, are hard to describe.

I took a 1 min. video instead:

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I can understand the want for stealth but that is for sure not a pretty ship!

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
the LBJ... hmm most Presidents has carriers named after them...Lyndon must have irked someone in the Navy... and he was in the navy in WWII

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Phil, nice photo. A great peaceful time on a boat.

Is that a Monitor wind-vane I see on the stern?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have their windvane and the emergency steering rudder in my garage. It is one of the additions I plan to install in the next 6 months. Looks like solid gear. Have to plan out the lines running to the wheel.

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
This has to be one of the coolest webcams on the planet. Here's the link to the news piece on it. They interview the UH Hilo professor and some of his staff & students.

Here's the link to the camera live feed...obviously the view isn't very good at night :)