Wednesday is Photo Day - 2021

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Sailing into the docks.

Is there space in there?
Sailing in 1.jpg

Must be, they're coming in. You have to commit and pick a spot off the docks to turn.
Sailing in 2.jpg

Fine turning: The boat has it's 'way' on.

Sailing in 3.jpg

And no brakes. Using the 'toe-rails' and agility of youth to full benefit.

Sailing in 4.jpg

Fair enough landing.
Sailing in 5.jpg

Kids that grew up sailing think they're still sailing in the dinghys they started in.

Sailing in 6.jpg

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
My daughters were swimming at Waimea Bay today and my youngest saw a new snorkel on the bottom. She dove down ~15 ft to get it and take it to the beach. When she got there she realized that a baby octopus was living in the snorkel. They released it into the wild after taking a few pictures and watching it change colors.
IMG_8448.jpeg

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
I'm flying back to Hawaii on Wednesday so Monday night is the new Wednesday morning. The Tuesday meeting calendar looks to be a complete sh!t show so Tuesday is not an option. Anyway...the Saturday project was to replace the last few incandescent bulbs with LEDs and apply a few maintenance coats of varnish to the bow sprit and deck hatch trim. Also managed to get in ~4 hrs on my SUP between Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Here's a photo from my light bulb test.
IMG_3729_cr.jpg

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I'm flying back to Hawaii on Wednesday so Monday night is the new Wednesday morning. The Tuesday meeting calendar looks to be a complete sh!t show so Tuesday is not an option. Anyway...the Saturday project was to replace the last few incandescent bulbs with LEDs and apply a few maintenance coats of varnish to the bow sprit and deck hatch trim. Also managed to get in ~4 hrs on my SUP between Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Here's a photo from my light bulb test.
View attachment 196396
As long as any day goes - we took a trip to the Magothy River a couple weekends ago. We had stayed there last year on a week night in a very nice scenic and well protected anchorage called the horse farm, named after the large farm across the cove -
1626743455411.jpeg

This year on the weekend the horse farm was seriously overcrowded, so we went a little further up river to Broad Creek. Not as well tucked away, but it was a calm night with a pretty sky.
1626743425550.jpeg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hip deep in windows. 10 have gone to the glass shop and are now back at the boat. I spent the day scraping the 40 plus years old adhesive caulk from the fiberglass sides of the cabin.

Forward deck and port side are next. Fount to give the area a paint spruce up. Install and seal the windows frames in the cabin.

got to get ready for a Canadian crossing. Rumored August 9th is the openingFF9B464B-F991-483B-925F-6E9AC7ECC1A5.jpeg BBDFBE4D-EDC5-490C-A525-A34A3E5DE71C.jpeg
EB5F37CF-1671-4F2C-BEFB-2F37D8B0D2A1.jpeg

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
David, post 49. I can't find a date on your post, but on the 10/11 of July my club ( SOS for short ; Orange/gold burgees.) was to have gone to the "horse Farm - Eagle Cove" as we call it. I had a burgee port AND stbd that weekend. One boat had been there the weekend before and they said the place was a mob scene. We changed location for the 9-boat raft to Broad Creek on the Magothy for our 9 or 11 boats. That was our "Wine & Chocolate Cruise". I hate to admit, but we had a catamarn and a trimaran in the raft.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
David, post 49. I can't find a date on your post, but on the 10/11 of July my club ( SOS for short ; Orange/gold burgees.) was to have gone to the "horse Farm - Eagle Cove" as we call it. I had a burgee port AND stbd that weekend. One boat had been there the weekend before and they said the place was a mob scene. We changed location for the 9-boat raft to Broad Creek on the Magothy for our 9 or 11 boats. That was our "Wine & Chocolate Cruise". I hate to admit, but we had a catamarn and a trimaran in the raft.
Small world - we were the gray Beneteau just south of you -
1627058075344.jpeg

“Mob scene” describes the Horse Farm that weekend too. We peeked in there but there was no space left, so you made the right call to change your location.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
A week ago was the Four Sister's regatta in Toronto named after 4 smoke stacks near Port Credit. We send our kids off into Lake Ontario to fend for themselves in 7-1/2' boat.
DSC_5614 (2).JPG

They aren't really by themselves, the geese like to join in the races.
DSC_5636 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
On Saturday morning we did a family swim & SUP adventure from Three Tables Beach down to Waimea Bay so we could watch my father-in-law compete in the 1st race of the North Shore Swim Series. As my daughter and I were approaching an anchored sailboat we came across a huge school of small silver fish moving fast. Then we ran into this guy. Odds are he was causing the fish to move fast. The monk seal hung out in the bay for a few hours munching on the small fish.
IMG_8598_cr.jpg

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
View attachment 196603
A 1921 photo of “Bluenose” titled Going Home
Hey Now! Check out this account!
Video footage included - what a bonus!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That is some exciting video. Imagine being aboard either of those boats during a tacking dual. All those sails up. A crew scurrying about pulling this line, releasing that line, the helm to lee, cautious not to loose speed or get caught in irons.

WOW... And video.

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
My cousin Joe, his wife, and his two kids are visiting me on Oahu. His son Haru (11) and daughter Yuxu (9) did some serious research on what they wanted to do on the North Shore. They have had many adventures since being here for 1 week. These are two of their favorite activities - Banzai Skate Park and Waimea Rock. When I told them that Kolibri will be in Hawaii next summer they asked me how old you have to be to fly without your parents. Seems like they are already making plans for next summer.....
IMG_3800_cr.jpg
IMG_3821_cr.jpg
IMG_3879_cr.jpg