Wednesday is Photo Day - 2021

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
The Ark beat me into the water this season.
Ark launching.jpg

The $1 dollar boat has been sailing. So has the sailing dinghy.

New Tom and MJ sailing_.jpg

It's a crazy year on all fronts. Boat yards are still backed up launching. I watched what looked like a toothpick from across the harbor.

Latifa stick far.jpg

Turns out it was a 93' spruce toothpick being readied to step.

Lattifa main mast.jpg

Our yard has been working 7 days a week.

Mary Oakes mainsail_.jpg

They managed to squeeze me in.

Launch 2021.jpg

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
My daughter is really enjoying her job at Mālama Pūpūkea-Waimea - a nonprofit that supports conservation and scientific research in the Pupukea Marine Life Conservation District on the North Shore of Oahu. As the "science outreach coordinator" one of her tasks is to help visiting scientists from UH and other universities. Yesterday she was helping a UH doctoral student with his turtle research.
IMG_5410_cr.jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
A true dream job for the young and single. I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that monetary rewards are low, so not the dream job for someone supporting a family, but for anyone else... AWESOME!

-Will

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
A true dream job for the young and single. I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that monetary rewards are low, so not the dream job for someone supporting a family, but for anyone else... AWESOME!

-Will
Fortunately it pays enough to make it worth her while and it's about 1/2 time. She fills in the gaps with doing odd jobs for my wife's real estate company. The big benefit is networking with different professors from UH and other schools while she's working out what she wants to do in grad school. The foundation also wants her to keep working for them while she goes to grad school. That will give her lots of options for research projects.

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
I made the mistake of looking ahead at my work schedule and I will be stuck in meetings from 4:30AM to 2:00PM HST on Wednesday. At that point I will most likely say, "Screw this, I'm going mountain biking then for a snorkel swim". Here's getting a jump on Wednesday.....sunset sailing on the North Shore of Oahu.

IMG_3620_cr.jpg
IMG_3628_cr.jpg
IMG_3638_cr.jpg

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Who schedules a meeting at 4:30 a.m? Somebody in NYC where it will be 10:30 am? Or London at 3:30 pm?
Kind of subverts the concept of island time, IMO.

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
Who schedules a meeting at 4:30 a.m? Somebody in NYC where it will be 10:30 am? Or London at 3:30 pm?
That's the price you pay as a remote employee for a Colorado based company. At least my work day ends early and leaves plenty of time for mountain biking, snorkeling, sailing, and surfing.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I stayed in Hawaii a few extra weeks in February as I could work from there…but my home office is in Chicago, and my team starts at 8:00…. So I was up and working at 4:00 AM Hawaii time for those 2 weeks… only thing that made it tolerable was I was at the beach or sipping a Mai Tai by noon.

Wife thinks it was worth it, but she slept in until 6:00 every day :facepalm:

Greg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Greg, you should have asked your company for a shift differential. I think you had a good argument to make for time and a half.

-Will

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Wednesday photo day seems to be mostly eye candy. SO I propose to post something a bit different. EYE SORE!
The admiral and I are no longer upset that the boat got hurt. We are fixing things that needed fixing. Like the 40 year old 12V system. Started life with 16 breakers and a lot of suitcase connectors. Upgraded to a 24 breaker system and only have 3 open spaces after the rebuild. Found a thin nipple on the A/C system by trying to remove a hose only to have the nipple snap in half. We hardly ever close this thru-hull as we used the A/C system in dehumidifier mode when we are away from the boat. Putting this on the replacement list for every other bottom job. The original nipple was 10+ years old (previous owner) so I have some comfort about how long it will last. Finally, we pulled all the chainplates to get them inspected for another 40 years, I suppose. But the Aft Port Lower was cracked 85% through and would have failed in a blow. And it wasn't until after we pulled the chainplates that someone told us two different stories about the Aft Lowers failing.
IMG_20210521_175953298[1].jpgIMG_20210524_152625391[1].jpg

Attachments

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I bought a pair of Sea Eagle FastTrack 385 inflatable kayaks. Not well suited for rapids above Class 1 but excellent on flat water. They are light but track straight even in winds up to about 20k due to low freeboard, inflatable forward keel and aft fin skeg. They paddle much better than rotomolded kayaks, and feel responsive to each stroke. They are sturdy, with drop stitch floor and heavy duty PVC.
We saw a beaver on the river bank near where this picture was taken. First time I ever saw a beaver in the wild. :waycool: Didn't get a picture, but he enterred the water when we got too close, swam about 50 feet then smacked his tail on the water and dove. He surfaced next to his dam.
kayaks.jpeg

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
One of the weekend projects - new lettering on Kolibri that provides much better contrast than the previous color. I also removed the old Shipmate fireplace and started prep work for installation of the Dickinson Marine Cozy Cabin Heater. Oh...I spent a ton of time on my SUP checking out stingrays in the nearby waterways.

IMG_3694 cr.jpg