Wednesday is Photo Day - 2021

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
And good riddance to 2020. Now that everyone in my family is fully vaccinated my daughter can visit me in my work location (SF Bay Area) more often and I can go home more often (Hawaii). We spent the last week sailing and hiking. My daughter also got the chance to prove her boat handling skills acquired through four years of collegiate racing and J Boat racing in NY as our motor died coming into the marina. We quickly raised the main and she sailed us into a 50 ft, upwind slip that has been vacant for a while. The harbor master was blown away by the quick action on deck. After getting past the dead motor experience we spent the last few days exploring San Francisco parks. Here are a couple shots from the adventure. Anchoring for the night in Clipper Cover and hiking in the Lands End Lookout area.
IMG_3442.jpg

IMG_3521.jpg

Adding a photo my daughter took as we sailed past Alcatraz.

IMG_4346.jpg

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Took a trip to Baltimore last weekend for the inaugural “Five Forts Race” - a sail on the Patapsco River past Fort Smallwood, Fort Howard, Fort Carroll, Fort McHenry, and Fort Armistead. The wind held up and we had a very nice race from the mouth of the river between Fort Howard and Fort Smallwood up past Fort Carroll and Fort Armistead to Fort McHenry before turning downwind for the return leg.

Fort McHenry, the upwind mark:
1622026045094.jpeg

Passing Fort Carroll on the downwind leg, just downriver of the Key Bridge:
1622026129377.jpeg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Took a trip to Baltimore last weekend for the inaugural “Five Forts Race” - a sail on the Patapsco River past Fort Smallwood, Fort Howard, Fort Carroll, Fort McHenry, and Fort Armistead.
David, how long is the course of the "Five Forts Race"? I'm working on a project for the Mariner Class Association I'm calling the Trailer Mariner's 20-20. It's to be a list of 20 sails of at least 20 miles from put in to take out within a region like the Northeast, the Atlantic Coast, the PNW, etc. I just launched a Web form to take suggestions for sails, to fill the list with, on our club Web site about two months ago. The "Five Forts" course sounds like it might qualify.

The idea is to produce a list of sailing trips that get trailersailers out to exprienced different sails with diverse and interesting destinations. If they complete all twenty sails within a region they can submit a brief log of their trips and receive a token of recognition for the achievement.

I would like to fill the list with trips that members have actually sailed, but it isn't quite going as hoped and I need to start looking for suggested trips that a member could sail, to start filling the lists out.

-Will

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
David, how long is the course of the "Five Forts Race"? I'm working on a project for the Mariner Class Association I'm calling the Trailer Mariner's 20-20. It's to be a list of 20 sails of at least 20 miles from put in to take out within a region like the Northeast, the Atlantic Coast, the PNW, etc. I just launched a Web form to take suggestions for sails, to fill the list with, on our club Web site about two months ago. The "Five Forts" course sounds like it might qualify.

The idea is to produce a list of sailing trips that get trailersailers out to exprienced different sails with diverse and interesting destinations. If they complete all twenty sails within a region they can submit a brief log of their trips and receive a token of recognition for the achievement.

I would like to fill the list with trips that members have actually sailed, but it isn't quite going as hoped and I need to start looking for suggested trips that a member could sail, to start filling the lists out.

-Will
Will,

The course was about 14 miles straight-line distance. From mouth of the Patapsco to Ft. McHenry is about 7 miles (plus tacking). We had winds from around 7-10 with a few holes of 3-4. Everyone finished under the 4 hour time limit. It would probably be a good course for the Mariner class since the river is accessible and pretty well protected.

It was a fun “destination” race for us since we mostly sail farther north on the bay. The race was hosted by Rock Creek Racing Association and Maryland Yacht Club. We stayed at Maryland Yacht Club for 2 nights and they were very hospitable.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I like the houseboat in Tom's picture. Appears it has a garage? Maybe there's a ramp to pull in a small boat. (just letting my mind ramble) :biggrin:

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
@TomY I like the rounded and routed finish detail on the corners and edges the steps. And the chamfers where the floor meets the post, and the arched roof. Nice touches like that make all the difference. :thumbup:

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
Yeah...it's Monday, but I have some good shots to share. My wife was in the SF Bay area over the ~5 day weekend. We sailed one day, but the light sucked. We hiked and biked a lot and the light was good. A tale of two bike rides...one on the SF Bay Trail and one over the Golden Gate Bridge with boat ride back to SF from Tiburon.
IMG_3553_lrcr.jpg
IMG_3566_lrcr.jpg