Webbing: Sew or Tie

Jul 12, 2021
Pearson 32 Winthrop Harbor
I have some tubular webbing that I'm going to use to make jack lines. What's the best way to attach them to the pad eyes? Can I use a knot or should I sew a loop and use a carabiner...other ideas?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Great question. My jacklines have a large loop sewn into each end that are attached to cleats at the stern and bow but you can also tie them off as discussed in this thread post #5 Attaching a jackline | Sailboat Owners Forums AND take a look at the other posts on guidance on running jack lines. I have pad eyes on each side of the cockpit to attach a tether.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I have some tubular webbing that I'm going to use to make jack lines. What's the best way to attach them to the pad eyes? Can I use a knot or should I sew a loop and use a carabiner...other ideas?
Jackline is one word. A jack line. for example, can be found on the luff of some sails near the tack.

Do not use nylon climbing webbing. Too much stretch.

Most likely, proper sewing is the only way to get the required strength, since a knot takes ~ 40% of the strength. Climbers can knot 1" webbing slings because they are used in a loop. But you need to research the stitching methods (see Sailrite). Also, test the strength of your sitching by sewing just one row and bouncing on that with body weight.

Probably the safest DIY method uses Dyneema singlebraid, since it is easy to splice.

Attaching them to bow and stern cleats is a problem, since you can ten fall off the bow or stern. Really, they should be anchored 3-4 feet back from the ends. It's a common, lazy solution.

Best of luck and be careful!

jackline locations

Jul 12, 2021
Pearson 32 Winthrop Harbor
Thanks. Isn't Dyneema singlebraid rope? I've read that webbing is preferable because it won't roll when you step on it....

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
A proper jackline design keeps the user from falling over the side preventing the user to be suspended. Proper stitching is needed but concerned about the weakening of the material due to knots is either irrelevant or you need to have stronger material. I also prefer stitching because it allows the material to lay more flat compared to knots, lessening tripping hazards. My two cents....

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Thanks. Isn't Dyneema singlebraid rope? I've read that webbing is preferable because it won't roll when you step on it....
Sometimes Dyneema single braid jacklines are run inside to further reduce rolling. I've seen them but not sailed with them.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I like the discussion of John Harries. He is known. Morganscloud.com.
With many years of cruising / sailing experience I find his ideas are sound both from engineering design and sailing performance.

Some of his ideas are public others are for his members. At $20 a year subscription I find the information valuable.

Safety issues are ones he shares.

Jacklines are shared. Jacklines: Materials, Fabrication and Installation