Web Site to keep Captain Fuzzy Face Busy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Thanks Ed! I'll keep track of the ships coming into my area.

Years ago my wife and I were sailing toward Newport in the Trinkka to anchor out off of Fort Adams in the harbor and watch the Newport Folk Festival. Like a dumbbell I was traveling in the center of the large main channel just ghosting along with my radio playing some hot tunes when all of a sudden I heard these loud blasts of a ship's horn.
We turned around and saw this large cruise coming up behind us. It was like looking up at a tall building.:eek: I dropped the outboard down and got it started as quick as I could and did and exit stage right toward shore to get out of his way.
I should have had my VHF on and set for scanning the stations. Needless to say, I no longer travel down the center of large main channels.

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
Joe, that was you in the channel!!!.......had I known I would of yeilded :D.......serious though around the Great South Bay the ferry captains are very courteous to the sailboats in the channels and marina entrances

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Joe, that was you in the channel!!!.......had I known I would of yeilded :D.......serious though around the Great South Bay the ferry captains are very courteous to the sailboats in the channels and marina entrances
Those ferry captains are probably so good at handling those boats that they could stop them in mid stream and spin them on a dime RAD.

This craft I speak of was a gigantic cruise liner similar in draft to the large tankers that come down the bay. They need to stay in the channel or they can get into trouble like that Italian cruise ship. My ship is so small in the water and their ship is so large. I have a tendency to get a little nervous when I get in their way.

We had a blast that day anchored out off of Fort Adams listening to the Newport Folk Festival. We may not have been able to see who was on the stage with our binoculars but we could hear Judy Collins' voice as plain as day.
There were boats all around us anchored in deep water. My wife was baking some turkey wings on board and everyone down wind was asking what smelled so good. They said "Hey what are you cooking on that boat?" "Turkey!" Said we. Said they,-- "Hey, that smells good!" "We'll be right over." :D

Oct 21, 2005
Oday 26 Indian Cove, Guilford, CT LIS
We went into Newport a few years ago, not knowing about the music from Fort Adams. We blundered into a Phoebe Snow concert. What an amazing voice she had. What an amazing stage and sound system set up to hear a concert on the hook in the harbor.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
You're absolutely right about the sound system at that festival. The water where we anchored was so deep that we slipped our anchor twice until we could get a good grab in that harbor, but it was well worth our effort just to listen to the music from our boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.