Weaver Snap Davits

Dec 29, 2015
Beneteau 473 Mukilteo WA
Has anyone used Weaver Snap Davits to hang their dinghy off the stern? I have a Beneteau 473 and I was wondering what configuration I should use.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
No. But I am familiar with their design, and your boat. The Weaver is a compromise design and will block your platform while placing your dink in the suck of a following sea. Get real davits and hang her high. Or just tow the dink on a proper bridle. (take the motor off).

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Why or what made you decide to go with snap Davies.
If interested I do have a complete setup even the pads for a inflatable depends on your setup and will be putting up for sale used.
Nick

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I heard of a dinghy on davits filling with following seas
and the dinghy ripping off .
Nick

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
I have them. Have been using them for three years. I use them mostly to transit the 12+ meter St-Lawrence locks (it gets pretty rough in there especially going up) or on the great lakes where I wouldn't want to flip the dinghy and lose it. I haven't been on the open ocean with them: I don't think I'd trust them or real davits for an ocean crossing!
When you are at anchor you flip the dink down and remove the davits for total access: I have the removable ones so no one snubs a toe on the platform.
My boat is a Oceanis 31 so relatively narrow... I have an 8'6" foot dinghy and can actually sail closed-hauled without the dinghy plowing into the water except in very heavy weather and waves on the great lakes... So it's probably time to reef anyway.
They're good for me because
I didn't want the weight & hassle of big davits which I would only use once in a while: when I'm not out on a cruise I leave the dingy on the mooring.
I guess it really depends on your usage of your boat.
Pierre

Feb 25, 2021
Beneteau Oceanis 31 Baltimore
I have them. Have been using them for three years. I use them mostly to transit the 12+ meter St-Lawrence locks (it gets pretty rough in there especially going up) or on the great lakes where I wouldn't want to flip the dinghy and lose it. I haven't been on the open ocean with them: I don't think I'd trust them or real davits for an ocean crossing!
When you are at anchor you flip the dink down and remove the davits for total access: I have the removable ones so no one snubs a toe on the platform.
My boat is a Oceanis 31 so relatively narrow... I have an 8'6" foot dinghy and can actually sail closed-hauled without the dinghy plowing into the water except in very heavy weather and waves on the great lakes... So it's probably time to reef anyway.
They're good for me because
I didn't want the weight & hassle of big davits which I would only use once in a while: when I'm not out on a cruise I leave the dingy on the mooring.
I guess it really depends on your usage of your boat.
Pierre
Caboteur,
I have a oceanis 31 as well...and an 8'6" dink...and am about to buy weaver snap davits but I was concerned with if it would clear that stainless arc over the ladder hinge on the transom. Do you have the same arc? Did you have to buy one of the raised or extended snap davits they offer, or did you just use the standard? Any words of advice on mounting on the back of the oceanis 31?

Oct 10, 2018
Beneteau 321 Bay Harbor Marina, Bay City MI
I would like to know the answer to this. I have a 321 that should be similar II think.

Feb 21, 2010
The boat was dirty etc... sorry. On the top picture you can see my now 10 foot dink on the back of the boat... I will need the extensions to sail with the dink on the back of the boat.
There is a stern navigation light screwed on the starboard solar panel. I left the old one in place and simply ran the wiring to the new one.
IMG_0332.jpg

The bases of the removable davits easily clear the ladder arch... the touchy job is on the port side: you have to remove some of the permanent wood paneling behind the stateroom to reach under the swim platform to install backing washers or plate and the nuts to hold all this in place. On the starboard side it's a piece of cake... though best performed by a 5'01" 100# grand-daughter!
IMG_0231.jpg

With the smaller 8'6" dink I didn't need the extensions.

Feb 25, 2021
You're my hero...I have been searching for the answer for a while. Wish me luck...I have as of yet no grand daughter, but I do have two achy shoulders...and I know the joys if accessing the inside of the transom (installed a diesel heater and put exhaust and combustion inlet on transom...it was not fun).

Oct 10, 2018
I forgot all about the darn stern light. It certainly looks doable. But alas my grand daughters will remain in MI while go south to Florida. They would rather go with me but mom and dad don't agree, darn it.:cool:

Feb 21, 2010
We: my daughter, her three teen-age daughters and I were scheduled to leave Montreal for the Bahamas last July. My son-in-law to join us in FLA in November. I was to fly back from Nassau in December!
With Covid we now don’t when or if this will come about!

Oct 10, 2018
That is the main reason the granddaughters can't go. My boat is on the hard and that will give me some time to spend with her and very few people around. I have been buying parts and toys for the last 12 months. Am definitely considering the davit thing. Dinghy is only 8 1/2 feet long so sounds like it would work.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I took mine off. My dink drug in the water with the slightest heel. I could not keep the hoops glued to the dinghy tubes. I even had them profesionally glued to no avail. Now I tow the dinghy.

Feb 25, 2021
Caboteur, When you had your 8'6" in the snapdavits, did you need standoffs, or did you just lash it? I'm wondering about chafing against that swim ladder bar and also the dinghy engine mounted on the back rail for storage.

Feb 25, 2021
BTW: for any worried about accessing the underside to install the snapdavits, apparently Weaver has what they call the Toggler Snaptoggle. Google it. You don't need to put a backer on with these. Amazing. I hope they work.

Feb 21, 2010
Just lashed to stern railing, sitting against the cowling of the outboard. Didn’t even come close to the ladder arch. It sat behind the swim platform.

Feb 21, 2010
On this pic from Marine Traffic you can see that the dink is hung behind the swim platform... therefore no chafing! You may also notice some lettering on the bottom of the dinghy: that is the boat name and port of call. These would otherwise be hidden by the dinghy.
LE_CABOTEUR.jpg