Weather helm, under headsail only?

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
The wind was building, so we were gradually falling off from close hauled to almost a beam reach. We had been paralleling the coast, trying to point high enough to stay off it, but losing. So there was a good bit of heeling involved, and eventually we had to drop the sail and motor. But it was pretty rough and we already had one seasick crew, so we wanted to keep the better motion of sailing as long as possible.

The explanations above make perfect sense. I get it now. Many thanks to everyone!! :beer:
If you are trying to calm the motion but the genoa was too much sail area you can put up a reefed main and motor sail. I've done this in 50 knots on my C&C27 bare headed with a double reefed main closed hauled. The motion was quite bearable and the boat just soldiered on.

Apr 1, 2010
Cal 33 and Sea Pearl 21 . Crystal River, FL
If you are trying to calm the motion but the genoa was too much sail area you can put up a reefed main and motor sail. I've done this in 50 knots on my C&C27 bare headed with a double reefed main closed hauled. The motion was quite bearable and the boat just soldiered on.
This is good to know, will have to store it away for later use!

The boat Gene is talking about was my new to me (back in April) Cal. I had owned her for about 4 hours when we were out in those conditions (gusts of 22-25kts, seas of 4' or so) so we were clueless!!

The boat still has more weather helm than I think it should, but it also has a lot of bend in the mast. Need to do more tinkering!!!