Weather at your location currently and photo?

Mar 7, 2023
Hunter 28.5 Savannah
Weather here in Savannah is a cool 57 degs. after waking up to the mid 20’s and frosty stuff everywhere.
72730485861__7C5F21DE-1862-4E3C-8A51-25C2435DB31D.jpeg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
John ... Play nice.
Stuart Newspaper had a below the fold article about how the El Nino, which I guess they think is happening, is responsible for the wet weather we're having here in Florida. And it is pretty wet - for the "Dry" season.
What say our weather gurus?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
These are from last weekend….checked on my boat (on the hard for the winter). Temps were around -5F.

Lake Michigan temp around 32, not frozen except in the marina. Water “steams” in the frigid air temps.

IMG_1936.jpeg

IMG_1935.jpeg

Headed to Hawaii Saturday until it warms up :)

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
El Nino, which I guess they think is happening, is responsible for the wet weather we're having here in Florida. And it is pretty wet - for the "Dry" season.
Here are the Winter weather patterns that develop when the ENSO current pattern develops in the Pacific called El Niño.

IMG_5482.jpeg

Wintertime El Nino weather patterns Average location of the Pacific and Polar Jet Streams and typical temperature and precipitation impacts during the winter over North America. (NOAA)

We live on a big planet. It takes time for the results ie. “wet winters in Florida” to develop. The measurements of the sea temp in the center tropical ENSO currents that identify an El Niño event were occurring over the last spring and Summer of 2023. A more complete discussion of El Niño can be found here. https://www.noaa.gov/understanding-el-nino

We can visualize the Jet Streams on Windy. While they normally blow west to east with a bit of a wave. El Niño years change that.

1705655306476.png

Betty Davis may have said it best.
"Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy night,"

Mar 7, 2023
Hunter 28.5 Savannah
Seems like El Niňo is moving further south each year. I remember when it was further north the Santa Ana fires developed due o the El Niňo effects from the high winds.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
C'mon, we rarely get that hot in the summer up here.
I will admit, my sweat glands have had a seriously good work-out down here.

I'm a bit concerned about my ability to withstand cold on the trip to the Chesapeake as I'll arrive there towards the end of March. I'm hoping for an early spring.

I've realized I have now been in warm and increasingly warmer temperatures for many months now and my body is becoming well adapted to the heat. The trip North will be way to fast for the body to adjust.... Ah, the pain of returning...

dj

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
It's kind of sad that kids no longer get snow days. It was practically an order to go outside and play in the snow. Today is an "online classes day".
20240119_081203.jpg

24°F

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Wind chill was -37F on Monday. Took this following my morning 3 mile walk with the boat in the background in full hibernation mode in the Ice box of the US. It's not so much the heat but the humidity that's the trouble.... (and yes my right eye did freeze shut).

IMG_3387.jpeg

• Wow
Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
You walked your boat three miles?! That's impressive!
:laugh: It sure wood be in the snow! I don't even think I could tow the thing 3 miles with everything being frozen down right now. I can't complain it's not been near as cold or as snowy as many other years up here. so far we have only had about a week of sub zero highs total! Normally it would be a couple weeks by now.

The boat is certainly enjoying a well deserved rest. That 'ol' gal sees somewhere around 5000 road miles a year and hundreds of sailing miles! Spring starts with a trip to Detroit for sailing on Lake St. Claire and summer will end with a cruise on Superior for the Apostle Islands again.