We need a sailing term for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
Sailing has terms for just about everything surrounding the sailboat on the hard, at dock, or underway. I was surprised to find no sailing term for the one process I seem to do quite often as I upgrade and refurb my boat.
It is the act of reaching under the deck of a sailboat (generally impossibly tight and remote spaces) to place a washer or backing plate onto a bolt with two fingers while trying to thread a nut on the bolt with the remaining two fingers and opposing thumb.

I also wonder why the sailing gods have forced us (due to corrosion) to use only materials that magnets will not pick up.

Jan 22, 2008
NorSea 27 Az., Doing the To-Do list
I think I have a lot of words for just that. I just can't say them in mixed company or post them on this friendly board... ;-)

Greg

Aug 4, 2009
Oday 25 Olympia
There are several sailing terms for the situation; All of them are unprintable!
George

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
The Act is Commonly Referred to as ...........

It Is The Act Of Reaching Under The Deck Of A Sailboat (generally Impossibly Tight And Remote Spaces) To Place A Washer Or Backing Plate Onto A Bolt With Two Fingers While Trying To Thread A Nut On The Bolt With The Remaining Two Fingers And Opposing Thumb.

%#$&*@#
! ! ! ! !

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
There were a few midgets (no kidding) who commanded high compensation, in SoFla, for just those sorts of jobs. Bradford Marine had one little guy about the size of a 5 year old who could squeeze into the tightest of spaces and work long hours, when necessary.
Alternatively, you could find a petite girlfriend (just don't tell the wife), or have children!

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
There are a few perks to being Edward Pliershands!

We have all heard of "Deck Apes" serving onboard some sailboats. Why couldn't we employ "Below Deck Orangutans" for those long-reach jobs?

Actually, I've been successful using blue tape on the bottom of a box wrench.....as long as you have someone to turn the bolt/machine screw from the topside.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
There were a few midgets (no kidding) who commanded high compensation, .............etc.!
Uh... just a heads up, but recently there has been a lot controversy on the use of the "M" word. I encourage you not to use that term in the presence of little people or families and friends of little people... just to avoid a possibly uncomfortable situation.

Not intending to be critical, just relaying the awkwardness I recently experienced because of my being unaware how offensive some folks consider the term.

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
how about Bilge-threading?

BTW, regarding midgets: They would not be helpful if the location of the work requires a long reach.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
I think the term I often used was Hoonta groonty. While it has no particular meaning it seemed to excorcise the demons of hand cramps quite well.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
Just add the word twister on and there it is; bilge twister, sea cock twister, inboard twister, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.