Waxing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Kinyonga is currently hauled out. We have had a reccomendation from the boat yard to have a "professional topside wax nad polish" for $450 due to chalking.

I had intended to polish her myself anyway, and have done it before. It is hard work, but builds both character and muscle.

If anyone has comments or suggestions as to best product I would be interested to hear.

By the way, the yard's price for a topside paint job is $9,900.

John Brecher

Les

May 8, 2004
Hunter 27 Bellingham, WA
A few years ago Practical Sailor reviewed a number of products to clean and wax a boat. If I remember correctly, the top 3 were hard wax that you rubbed on the boat--they said it lasted the longest. But near the top was a West Marine product, cleaner/wax liquid that you rub on and wipe off. Since that sounded easier then the hard carnauba wax I used it. Once I had used the West Marine stuff the boat looked great, so I went ahead and also used a teflon wipe on/wipe off. My boats have looked so good (at that time a Hunter 380) that several other skippers near me have switched to the same stuff. Cleaner/wax, then teflon. Very easy stuff to use.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
John, that price is for the topsides, all 37 feet, both sides? I paid more than twice that about three years ago. That did, however, include repairing several gouges with gelcoat and putting on new stripes(I had already removed the old ones). But this was a real polishing. The sides if my '79 H37C looked like new. There is no way I could have gotten a result like that. Three years later it looks darn good. Well except for the scrapes the Erie Canal put on her. I did finally get a coat of WM cleaner/wax on her this past October. At the time I was told the gelcoat was getting thin and the next step would be paint. I have already painted everything inside the toerail except the cockpit.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
John:

That is a bargin to do the topsides (hull & cabin). I think I paid over $20/ft 10 years ago.

Once you get it buffed out, there is a product called Klasse that is suppose to do an excellent job of making her shine again.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Yep - I think we will do the waxing, thanks for your opinions, they have help me make up my mind. I will post some before and after pictures when we are done.

John Brecher

Status
Not open for further replies.