Waxing for seniors

Jul 20, 2014
macgregor 26x Kenora
I have read many different accounts of how to wax a hull but at my age they are all extremely tiresome.
Has anyone driven into a car wash and spray waxed their boat?
Cheers, Hope it works.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Novel idea, but I don't think you would get the durability you desire with car wash quality wax.
I'm 62 BTW

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Even if it did work, how would you keep the wax off the deck where you don't want it?

Jul 20, 2014
macgregor 26x Kenora
OK. So nobody has actually tried it.
Of course I would spray the deck and coach house since there are anti skid groves all over. After the wax I plan on sanding the bottom and applying a new atifouling paint.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
There are easy to apply waxes and hard to apply waxes. I've had good results with Collinite products.
Defender.com Search Results: collinite

These products do not require buffing, good results can be had with hand application. Use the 920 Cleaner and then either the 925 or 870 wax. It takes me about 3 hours a side on my 36 ft boat and I'm in my mid 60s.

Years ago in my youth I realized that the 2 most tiresome parts of waxing the hull was hefting the buffer around and climbing up and down the ladder and moving it every 6 feet. With Collinite the buffer is not needed and with a simple scaffold and 2 step ladders I can wax about 10-12 feet of hull without getting off the scaffold. (Until I inevitably drop the polishing cloths or the wax.) Clean a section of the hull and then wax it. Move the scaffold and repeat.

My scaffold consists of 2 Werner Fiberglass step ladders, one 7' and one 8' between the step ladders I have an 8' x 16" pick constructed of a 2x4 frame with a ½ inch plywood deck. As an alternative you could use a 2x12x10' plank, but that can get bouncy.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
I have a senior who is graduating from high school Friday and he works in a car wash. I think I could get him to buff and wax my boat pretty cheap! That is a great idea! Chief

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
We used to run the Mac though the spray wash as a last coat on the way to the lake. Didn't remove the requirement to see yourself in the gelcoat first. :) (and that gelcoat was an order of magnitude tougher than the Catalina)

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
You know what is really tiresome? Not having the strength to hoist a sail, trim a sheet or retrieve an anchor. Not having the agility to run the deck while she bounds. Get out there and climb a ladder 300 times, balance on a scaffold while swinging a 10 lb buffer shoulder high, and finish the workout by buffing out 2 coats of wax.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Ditto Collinite 925 liquid wax or NuFinish liquid auto wax. Both remove easily with out buffing. It takes the Admiral less than two hours per side to apply the Collinite with a yellow foam applicator and wipe off with micro fiber towels. We use a small folding platform about 3 feet long for most of it.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Brilliant! Find a pretty girl to do the job! Attend her every need.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Ditto Collinite 925 liquid wax or NuFinish liquid auto wax. Both remove easily with out buffing. It takes the Admiral less than two hours per side to apply the Collinite with a yellow foam applicator and wipe off with micro fiber towels. We use a small folding platform about 3 feet long for most of it.
That will never happen on our boat!
:worship:

Jul 20, 2014
macgregor 26x Kenora
Thank you all for the sage advice.
- Get the children to do it
- Get the admiral to do it
- Find a pretty girl to do it
I am now inclined to try the spray on wax.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Glad we could help ;)

Seriously, let us know how it works out. I don't think the wax will last long but you may be able to do it on a regular basis.