water wars

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
OK, not really sailing related, but will help my two future sailors stay interested.
Our local sailing club has an after race water war in the summer(and we have members on here so PM top secret info).
I'm looking to build a 12v 60' range "canon"
need experience and ideas please
I'll be adding some flare to it and will post as spring approaches but for now, I need pumps and nozzle ideas ?

Jun 10, 2017
Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II John's Pass / Tampa Bay
We used to get 3 or 4 together boats on the water under sail & fight
sea battles throwing water balloons. We used pole nets if one fell in the water.
The trick was to hit the main, have it roll down & splash-n-spray the crew.
It was fun, especially planning your course of attack but, don't leave your hatch open.

If we had 4 boats, we would pair off like the English fighting the French &
plan our attack.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Good luck! No safe idea I have for 60 feet. You are better off launching water balloons.
Ask a firefighter.
Tip: Horizontal stream velocity is independent of Vertical Velocity

In video above, how many feet did that stream flow before it began an arc?
My guess about 4 feet.

I would also guess a horizontal velocity to reach 60 feet would blast a hole in your boat, hand, etc.
Jim...

PS: Careful there is a lot of Tritium in water wars.:yikes:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Fun on the water: Our son and friends used to deliver vegetables to the mainland.
Harry TT potato gun size.jpg

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Below is video of our local raft racing event. There have been many different water weapons used. The most effective I saw over the years was a gas powered trash water pump pulling from the river, and connected to a fire hose. Water balloon slings using latex surgical tubing tied to a funnel are also effective, but harder to aim.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
different water weapons used
Now ya talking. Don't try 60 feet, but use a...

FOG NOZZLE!

The enemy ships are "blinded" in the water fog, get drenched, and surrender.:pimp::hijack:
Jim...

PS: Their whole bodies are covered with radioactive Tritium and are doomed to laughter [Tritium exposure symptoms}

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
It had to be 20 years ago now, but there was this product called the "Anti Pirate Yacht Cannon", which was basically a glorified huge slingshot that attached to the stays and you could launch water balloons over surprising distances with remarkable accuracy. Even came with a burgee. Starting grandkids on sailing this season - I'm thinking it will make a return appearance - heh, heh, heh...

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
It had to be 20 years ago now, but there was this product called the "Anti Pirate Yacht Cannon", which was basically a glorified huge slingshot that attached to the stays and you could launch water balloons over surprising distances with remarkable accuracy. Even came with a burgee. Starting grandkids on sailing this season - I'm thinking it will make a return appearance - heh, heh, heh...
I tried to google that product, and couldn't find it, but I found this picture that made me laugh

USCG-armed-dingy-50cal-625x386.jpg

I think this is the one you were speaking about Pumponator Launcher
Pumpanator.jpg

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
Ha! I think that there are those of us who use these water balloon launchers, etc, at least in our own minds, think that we're the Coastie in the dink with the 50 cal, yes?

That Pumpanator looks similar to the APYC, but is MUCH more colorful! And no burgee... (still laughing at the picture!).

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I am installing a Pumponator to defend against Seados this summer. I suggest food coloring in the water.
Jim...

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Trash Pump hooked to fire hose Video

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Promise us that you will pick up all the broken balloons from the water....

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach

About 30-35 years ago, the home made version was being tested in Edgartown harbor during race week. Back then, it was surgical tubing & a funnel.