Water tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 24, 2012
O'Day 40 BC Coast
Has anyone else had 2 broken water tanks. I've just bought this boat and the first surprise issue is leaking water tanks.:eek: Both of them are leaking at the centre baffle. Has anyone else had this happen and fixed them?
Neil Ramsey
O'Day 40

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
Has anyone else had 2 broken water tanks. I've just bought this boat and the first surprise issue is leaking water tanks.:eek: Both of them are leaking at the centre baffle. Has anyone else had this happen and fixed them?
Neil Ramsey
O'Day 40
Yep! Just about everyone.
The cause: is a blocked vent. The tank will blow up like a balloon when you fill the tank with water. The center of the tank (at the baffle) will rise up and crack the baffle.

The solution: is of course to check the vent but also place a 2X4 across the tank in the gap between the top of the tank and the underside structural platform that forms the berth. This will prevent the tank from bulging up.

The Cure: Using a plastic welder that is nothing more than a modified soldering iron , you can weld the cracks. It was rather easy. Much easier and cheaper than new tanks.

I believe I have details in my thread at the second page. http://forums.oday.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=132435&highlight=39+project+boat

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
I see your in Seattle, you may be lucky, the welding process you need to do on your tanks is the very same process used to patch roto molded kayaks. Roto molded Kayaks are inexpensive sea kayaks and also the kayaks used to run rapids. Call a few shops. I bet you will find one that will travel a bit. You can put the welder in your back pocket.

Mar 24, 2012
O'Day 40 BC Coast
Thanks for the info. I'm heading up to the Vancouver area Tuesday, (have to leave Washington or pay tax), and will find a kayak repair shop there.

Status
Not open for further replies.