Water tank

Nov 13, 2010
Hunter Passage 42 New Orleans
1992 Passage42. Our side water tank has a hole in the pickup tube 1/2 way down. Thoughts? Advice on repair?

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
My boat is much older than yours with an aluminum water tank. Maybe yours is similar? Anyway I had the same issue with pin hole leaks in the aluminum pickup tube. I had to cut an access port in the top of the tank. The rest of the repair consisted of reaching inside with a hacksaw, cutting off the tube but leaving about a 1" stub, then sleeving the stub with a new pick up tube made from ordinary PVC hose and a hose clamp. The port is a standard clear cover gasketed item readily available in multiple sizes. The larger the better for future cleaning of your tank.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thoughts? Advice on repair?
When I have a hose failure "Leak", rubber patch or Amalgam tape can temporarily stop or limit the leak. But the only reliable solution is to replace the hose. Then you can sleep more soundly knowing the leak is fixed, not waiting to surprise you when you least expect it.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Our side water tank has a hole in the pickup tube 1/2 way down.
Ours remain in good condition, so little advice here other than replacing if you can. Are you certain it is the pickup tube? What are the symptoms?

Jan 1, 2014
Hunter 42 Upper Chesapeake
I you decide to replace the forward water tank - options are limited. i don't remember of in the owners forum here - if not I will see if I can find and upload or PM me and I can point to it on other platforms.

Same for the midship tank - I have not replaced this one - but thinking of ordering now incase the supplied retires

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
you don't need to replace- it is possible to refurbish- i had over 30 holes in my tank and refurbished 4 or 5 years ago, and still perfect-- I posted a very detailed article on the refurbishment here

Jan 1, 2014
Hunter 42 Upper Chesapeake
you don't need to replace- it is possible to refurbish- i had over 30 holes in my tank and refurbished 4 or 5 years ago, and still perfect-- I posted a very detailed article on the refurbishment here
I remember reading that post. The results looked excellent