Water tank removal

Jan 27, 2015
S2 8.0 Door County, WI
My water tank apparently has mold in it. Obviously I need to take care of this and I was wondering how much work it is to remove the tank to clean it better. I have a 1983 S2 8.0.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Not familiar with the S2 but it is probably more work than you need to do. Why don't you clean as well as you can with the tank in side the boat and then fill the tank with a chlorine solution and let it sit and then flush it out. Repeat the process and that tank should be adequate to use. Check the archives for different recommendations. If the tank is not leaking I would not go through the trouble of removing it.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Rather than removing the tank, consider cutting a large hole in the top of the tank for an access plate .....................

access plate.jpg

........................ and then insert a pressure washer wand and carefully wash the interior with a weak bleach and detergent solution.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
hate to be the bearer of bad news .....but you are going to find that the tank is on it last leg if it is an aluminum tank and original to you boat ........i had to install a new tank in mine during my refit and restoration ...so don't be surprised if this happens to you .....goodluck

Jan 27, 2015
S2 8.0 Door County, WI
Thanks everyone. All good advice. I figured taking the tank out was more trouble than it's worth. It is a plastic tank so that is good. I have read the about the trouble with aluminum tanks and I don't want a part of that. Thanks again.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I replaced three tanks several yrs ago. If you can get access without hacking up the interior, and, IF the tank will fit through the companionway, you are home free. Mine were very easy..If I ever have to replace the 40 gal holding tank under theV berth, I'm in for a lot of work. Get access and take measurements!