Water tank pick up

Jan 5, 2021
Hunter 41 DS Saint Petersburg
When I run into problems, the first place I look is the last maintenance that was done. Above you mentioned that you have a new filter, could there be an air leak at that point? On my boat there is one of those stupid screen filters in front of the ITT water pump. I have never opened it, but I have had them leak on the washdown system, allowing air into the system.
It runs great with the supply coming from a bucket of water. I believe it is something in the tank.

Jan 5, 2021
Problem solved. With much persuasion, I was able to separate the elbow for the pickup from the tank. The elbow was clogged with gunk. It seems to be from ferrous metal. Used a drill to clean out the orifice, wire brushed the threads, and used pipe dope from Boeing. The pick up tubes were clear. Same problem on both tanks. Lack of proper maintenance on the tanks. Still not sure where the gunk came from seeing how the elbows are stainless. I will now drain and refill the tanks with an additional filtration attached to the hose whenever I fill these tanks.

Jan 5, 2021
It was very strange to have both clog up at the same time. But both were getting water from the same source. My best guess is the tanks were being filled from well water, high mineral and iron content by the previous owner. That is a problem in Florida. I am now in a City Marina, so no well water here. Even so I will be filtering it before it goes into the tanks as well as after the tanks. Still have to deal with the 10lbs of caulk on the port tank. I'm afraid of what damage all of that caulk is concealing.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Fitting does not look like stainless to me. Hose clamps are not stainless either.

Jan 5, 2021
The old rusted clamps have been changed to stainless now. The elbows are stainless, just not 316. I would like to know where I can get the elbows in 316 stainless. I didn't see them on the store here.