Water system winterizing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

William Kirch

I have a h-34, 1983. When I went to winterize the water system I ran into a problem and could use some guidance. 1. Usung the pressure pump I ran until no water came out of the faucets. 2. I put in 5 gallons of the anti-freeze and the ran the pump. The cold water faucets worked well in that the pink anti-freeze came out. 3. Then did hot water. At first got a lot of clear water and then no water. I put 2 more gallons of the anti-freeze in the water system-still nothing. The watr pressure system rums but no water or pink stuff comes out of the faucets-either hot or cold. Should I add say 3-4 more gallons of the pink stuff to the water tanks for a total of say 10-11 gallons and then it will work or is their some other procedure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Bill Kirch

T

Tim

6 gallon hot water heater?

Sounds like your filling up your hot water heater with antifreeze. After about 7 gallons of pink stuff it will run pink. I put a bypass around my heater (i.e. a tee fitting on the cold water in and a tee on the hot water out connected to each other with a hose) and just use the heaters drain to dry it out. I run pink stuff through the rest of the system as normal, only a lot less of it.

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

Have you read the article...

on winterizing plumbing in the Head Mistress forum reference library? First, drain the hot water tank...I'll bet you didn't do that. So...the hot water will run clear till all the water is out of the tank. Read the article, and then if you still have questions, get back to me.

B

BP

by pass a success!?

This is our first season and I have learned tons of do's and don'ts...... I drained the water heater, and then made a by-pass hose that connects the IN and OUT lines. I then added four gallons to each water tank, then opened up the faucets starting with the galley sink since it is the furthermost away from the water pump, and then the shower faucet, then the small sink on the port side. I switched my valve to the secondary tank and followed the same procedure to make sure I had anti-freeze running through all lines. Question for others: How did you drain your water heater tank? What do you do to keep the water from running all over your flooring under the salon seat? I used a small tupperware bowl and sponge to collect the spills.....took a few minutes to drain 6 gallons of water. we go on the hard Oct 27. :( Can't wait for spring to arrive!

R

Rich Stidger

Purge with air

Bill, Check the following link in the archives: http://www.c-2.com/forums/archiverview.tpl?rid=1999259135057&forumabr=bb&fno=3&archyear=99 You can also search the archives for the phrase "Blow it out". I never use antifreeze in the FW system. I have always blown it out. No cost, no bad taste, no laborious flushing in the spring, and no harder to do. Regarding the draining of the HW heater, I bought a 6-foot washing machine hose with female hose fittings on both ends ($6 at Home Depot). Using a drill powered pump (a $5-10 item) I connect it to the drain of the tank, open a hot water valve in the system, and pump the contents into my bilge. Add a little non-sudzing cleaner to the bilge hot water and swish around a while. Then use the bilge pump to empty. Two jobs for the price of one!! Rich

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

Draining the hot water tank

First, turn off the water pump. Then open a hot water faucet. The hot water tank acts as an accumulator, and water will run till it's just about empty. To get the last of the water out of it, disconnect the intake hose (the one at the bottom of the tank), and either stick a small hose into the tank and start a siphon with your mouth (it IS clean water!), or use a wet vac and a small hose attachment.

B

Ben

Concern about your hot water heater

I had to replace the hot water heater on my Hunter 34. When I went to remove the old heater I found that it was full of a jello type material. I suspect that it was the pink antifreeze. I notice that the instructions suggest that you plumb around the hot water heater and not get any pink in the heater. I suspect the previous owner did not and possibly cooked the pink into a jello. It occupied roughly 50% of the water heater capcity.

Status
Not open for further replies.