water rotting teak and holly sole from underneath

Aug 14, 2019
Hunter 28.5 Flag Harbor
Hi there-
My '87 28.5 is a wonderful boat. Problem is, my knee went thru the floor when I was checking the oil. There is a compartment of sorts under the floor at the bottom of the steps. I don't know where the water is coming from, nothing else on the boat is wet. Some clearly drains to the bilge because I see slivers of wood in there now, so need to take the floor out, must be a clog somewhere.

If you have had this problem and solved the mystery of where that water comes from, I would love to know!

BayDragonfly

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
Your sole or soul is rotten. I had to replace out entire sole due to 30+ years of not fixing all the leaks. I pulled out all the teak and holly boards and replaced them painting the under side with epoxy first

Aug 14, 2019
Hunter 28.5 Flag Harbor
Can't figure out what is leaking...seems to be spilling over from engine compartment. The search continues! Thx

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Do you have a fresh water tank inside the cabin?
How old is it and what's it made of?
I found out I had a leak in mine.
The water seeped under the sole.
Just a thought.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
you can get pool testers that measure ph etc. then compare with water from over board. water tank water and then rain water. that will tell you the source of the leak.

Sep 12, 2015
2002 Hunter 356 Oakville
when I got my new to me 85 28.5 the truhull under the sink was weeping and caused the same damage you are describing. I replaced them all and changed out the cabin sole.