Water Recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

bletso

Aug 20, 2013
Globe 38 PCB
Now the questions are, how many thousands of dollars and how much power does it consume? Really good idea.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Now the questions are, how many thousands of dollars and how much power does it consume? Really good idea.
The real question is what a marine version would look like.

After thinking on it and taking my nightly shower, I decided that for me, it is a solution looking for a problem. I have always taken fast showers, even at home, and taking a navy shower on the boat, so long as the water is warm, is no hardship. They claim it takes 5 liters of water per shower and that's about what I use. Thus, once through makes more sense, for me.

If a person really values long showers, it's a solution.

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
taking a navy shower on the boat, so long as the water is warm, is no hardship.
While I don't disagree, I have taken many showers using less than a gallon of water myself, Females with long hair don't always have that option (I swear I can fully shower with the amount of water it takes just to get her hair fully wet), and there are those times where a long hot shower just feels soo good, particularly after a long day of beating into crap weather.

I find it hard to imagine that anyone living aboard wouldn't be thrilled at the idea of this (the as yet unknown practicality aside for the moment)

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Got to remember that the cost of power and water in lots of European cities is a lot more than here.. They may have a much better incentive.The only part that looks strange to me is the filter.. on a typical sailboat, that filter may sit quite a while between uses.. Allowing some growth of interesting critters?? The thermosyphon that is shown for re-heat would have to be replaced by another pump .. ya couldn't use hot from the tank direct to mixer for fear of contamination of the drinking water.. Navy shower is probably more practical on small boats.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
While I don't disagree, I have taken many showers using less than a gallon of water myself, Females with long hair don't always have that option (I swear I can fully shower with the amount of water it takes just to get her hair fully wet), and there are those times where a long hot shower just feels soo good, particularly after a long day of beating into crap weather.

I find it hard to imagine that anyone living aboard wouldn't be thrilled at the idea of this (the as yet unknown practicality aside for the moment)
I actually agree. For me, no, but if my teenage daughter was with me for long she would thank me.

Really, there are versions of this that would not be difficult to self build.
1. Ditch the first flush. Makes treatment simpler. Ofcourse, if you washed off in the ocean this is not needed.
2. Use hot water make-up from the heater during the recycle phase. This will cause some overflow, which is OK. Helps keep the water fresh. The recycle will be warm but not enough for some. Most on-demand heaters have a minimum flow of about 0.5 GPM.
3. Design the system to drain overboard after last shower. Avoids the nasty water problem, sterilization issues, and the need for carbon filters. The only filter would be to keep the shower head from clogging with hair.

This would yeild a 2-3 gallon shower, even with long hair, less for the rest of us or if semi-cool water was acceptable (it would be in summer).

The fact that most boats already have a shower sump pump helps. Some might chose to simply install a second shower head that runs off the sump pump; dead simple and easy for the user to understand which water is fresh and which is not.

It is automating it for public use that makes it complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.