WATER PUMP

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Rebuild Sherwood or a new Oberdorfer raw water pump? That's a good question. Sure a new Oberdorfer would be nice and changing the impeller would be a lot easier, but all at a hefty price. I need to replace the two lip seals because the pump is weeping. But before I do anything, as always I look to the wisdom of those that have had a need to look into this. What say you oh wise ones?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Not a wise one but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express once! Be prepared to change the bearings as well as the seals.. If yours has bushings instead of bearings, be ready for new bushings..
I defer to a real wise one: Rebuilding A Raw Water Pump

Dec 5, 2015
Oday 272LE Louisville, KY
I was faced with the same problem last year on my little M 12 Universal diesel. If I remember correctly a total rebuild kit for the Sherwood was about $80.00. I went the Oberdorfer route for about $215 from Cardinal Pump out of St Louis, MO. I am very happy with the Oberdorfer.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
I rebuilt my Oberdorfer N202M-15 once. Total cost in parts was $178, and it took me a couple of hours of inventive machinining to dissasemble (the graphite bushings and the seals were a pain) and to rebuild. About 4 years later it was leaking again:confused:. I then purchased TWO N202M-15 pumps (one spare) from Depco Pump in Clearwater, FL for about $220 each.

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
It has to be better than my current Sherwood. Every time I have to work on it and remove the impeller, that darn key heads into "not to be found" land.