Water problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 22 Lunenburg
I have had a 1978 22 for 2 seasons. Water is always in the bilges up to the battery holder but never higher. I pump it out - back by next day. After pumping I see immediate imperceptible flow from the stern. When I hauled out last fall I left the water in to see where it would it come out. No sign of water leaking out anywhere. I raised the bow as high as I could. No sign. But I suspect the lower rudder pintle as the boat sits low, possibly due to the 9.9 4-stroke which is heavy and the kick-up rudder which is also heavy and of course the water which has flowed in after 1 day. I cannot take off the pintle as a previous owner jammed a large block of styrofoam under the cockpit rendering access impossible from either locker. The only thing I can think of is to caulk around the pintle plate and across the bolts to try and make it watertight. Any suggestions anyone? Barry

J

Jim

Remove the foam

I would recommend taking out the foam so that you can properly seal the lower pintle. In my previous boat (a Hunter 23) the lower pintle leaked and caused some rot in the wood core between the inner fiberglass and the outer hull skin. Not sure if the C-22 has a wood core in that area, but if it does, you will want it completely sealed in order to prevent having a water soaked wood core and eventual rotted wood.

G

Gerry, GMJ Marine

Barry, I'd have to agree with Jim to remove the foam first. This will allow you to get a better look at what you have to deal with. And as Jim said, any wood in that area may be getting saturated, in which case you'll want to correct that situation as well as find and fix the leak. If you feel that you need the foam you can always some when you're finished. Good luck

Aldo

Jan 27, 2005
Catalina 22 Middle River, MD
Could it be the Thru Hull

Barry: Could it be the thru-hull fitting located next to the battery box that's leaking? I had a similar problem a few years ago and I got many suggestions from this forum on how to replace the brass valve with a plastic valve. Please check out the link below. Aldo

Aldo

Jan 27, 2005
Catalina 22 Middle River, MD
Another Link on the Thru-Hull Valve

Barry: Below is another link to the archives that discusses the replacement of the thru-hull valve. This information helped me. Aldo

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 22 Lunenburg
Throughhull fitting

The valve seems to have been replaced not too long ago and well sealed. No water came out at that point when the boat was out of the water. In Fall 03 I did have to replace the hose and double clamp at both ends as I found that the hose had not been properly pushed over the valve so the boat could have sunk. Thanks for the reply. It looks like I shall have to bite the bullet and wrestle with the foam. Barry

R

Randy K

My gudgeons leaked

I had the same problem. Get rid of the foam and remove the gudgeon (the pintle is on the rudder). A fellow at my marina suggested that instead of using some sort of caulk to use a rubber gasket instead. I got gasket material from a home improvement center (reddish rubber sheet) and cut it to slightly extend beyond the gudgeon. Then I used an ice pick to poke holes for the bolts. Put a dab of caulk under the bolt heads just before you cinch them tight. Not a drop has leaked since.

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 22 Lunenburg
Gudgeon

Thanks, Eugene. I knew at the time that gudgeon was the correct term but it just wouldn't come to the front of my mind! Interesting that someone else had the same problem and I will certainly follow all this advice and, I hope, cure it once and for all. That's if it ever stops snowing! Barry

A

Al Hughes

water leak

Hi I have a 1970 cat22 #81 I had a small leak between the underside of the rub rail and the hull(where the deck and the hull are put together) I only saw this when I was sailing on San Francisco Bay or washing the boat in my front yard. Fix: I filled the gap between the bottom of the Rub rail and the Hull with clear R.T.V After that I saw no leaks. With the fixed amount of water you described , this maybe a fix

Status
Not open for further replies.