Water pressure pump problems

Jul 14, 2013
Catalina 38 Wilmington
My '81 Cat 38 saw some heavy action last weekend and got bounced around a bit. When I pulled into the slip I noticed that the water pressure pump was running and no water was available from either tap, head or galley. There's plenty of water in the tank. First question; what could be wrong? I'm thinking an air or water line has become disconnected from the pump to the fresh water tank. Second question, where is that water pressure pump? I'm pretty mechanical, so I'm hoping I can fix this.

Oct 18, 2008
Jeanneau 49DS Seattle
could it be that the hose from the tank has a leak or come off? Since no water is coming out and that there has been no shortage of water in the tanks I would think the supply line has come off someplace. In my boat the water pump can run dry without problems in short periods of time but don't let it go for long.

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
The strainer attached to the water pump may be clogged. If a hose came off the tank would likely fill the bilge.

Jun 6, 2004
Catalina 38 San Francisco Bay
The water pressure pump on my '82 Catalina 38 is mounted in the cabinet under the galley sink. The pump diaphragm may be damaged and not able to create enough pressure to shut the pump off. If there is a leak on either side of the pump the tank should empty. Either by draining out or the pump pumping the water into the bilge.
You might take this problem up with the Catalina 38 Organization group, http://www.catalina38.org/

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
urbansailor, I suggest a systemic approach. Tank to filter to pump to faucets. We had continual pump running a few months ago. You need to find out where the leak is, if there is one, first. Check each SECTION of the piping/hoses, then check the pump. Good luck. Usually air doesn't entrap itself in the system unless your tanks are dry or the valves at the manifold are both closed. If one tank is empty and both valves are open, the pump may cycle, too. I always use only one tank at a time.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
Disconnect the supply hose (pump inlet from tank) to the pump and see if you have flow there and a clear screen. If so, reconnect and loosen (or disconnect) the distribution (outlet) hose, open the faucets, and have a helper cycle the pump on. This should solve the problem if was air bound, but as Stu indicated, air has to get there for some reason.

Jul 14, 2013
Catalina 38 Wilmington
urbansailor, I suggest a systemic approach. Tank to filter to pump to faucets. We had continual pump running a few months ago. You need to find out where the leak is, if there is one, first. Check each SECTION of the piping/hoses, then check the pump. Good luck. Usually air doesn't entrap itself in the system unless your tanks are dry or the valves at the manifold are both closed. If one tank is empty and both valves are open, the pump may cycle, too. I always use only one tank at a time.
I only have the one tank and it may have run dry at some point. I also discovered that I'm not getting fresh water to flush the head. I'm going to change the filter which is located right outside the water tank. The pump works. I disconnected the intake and felt the suction. It has to be the filter.