water maker: taking the fresh water line to the main water pump?

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 419 Milwaukee
instead to taking the newly made fresh water line to the water tank, my installer recommended to take it to the boat water pump (intake side of course): much shorter route / much easier connection Y or T connector

Thoughts?

Thx

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Where will the water go if the pump isn’t on? Or is the idea it will just backflow to the tank?

If this is just a shortcut to reach the closest route to the tank, I guess it would work.

Greg

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
Where will the water go if the pump isn’t on? Or is the idea it will just backflow to the tank?

If this is just a shortcut to reach the closest route to the tank, I guess it would work.

Greg
backflow

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Since the connection you describe would be on the intake side of the water pump, will you have a problem with drawing a vacuum on the water maker output line? The pump relies on "sucking the water" out of the tank that is in service, with another line connected at the pump suction it seems that it might interfere with that suction from the in service tank or worse yet, damage the water maker. I would think you could want to have an isolation valve on the water maker output line just before the water pump. Seems it would be better to have the water maker discharge to a tank that is vented but that is just an "uneducated" guess.

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
Since the connection you describe would be on the intake side of the water pump, will you have a problem with drawing a vacuum on the water maker output line?
I totally agree with you. This is my main concern...

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The other issue is the static pressure on the line to the freshwater pump. Typically water tanks draw from the bottom of the tank. The watermaker would have to push water up the intake hose into the tank. That can be a lot of head.