Water maker install

Jul 19, 2015
Beneteau 343 BVI
I have almost completed the installation of our water maker. The only connection I need to make is for the brine water discharge. Would it be a problem if I tee into the line from the shower sump pump or should I put in a dedicated through hole? I would hate to put another hole in the boat if I don’t have to. The water maker is a specta Ventura-200 Deluxe T.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
What does the manual say? I would not want to put another thru-hull in the boat for the brine water, but that's just me.

Jul 19, 2015
Beneteau 343 BVI
The manual says I can tee off an existing through haul but I don’t know if the pump for the shower will stop the brine water from filling the shower. Or if the shower pump will damage the water maker when we pump out the shower.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I scanned your owner manual. I found no information, probably like you, about the brine to fresh water rejection ratio. The Brine/Fresh ratio depends on the salinity, nitrates, and temperature of the sea water.

After looking, not reading, the brine discharge thru hull diameter I would GUESS that the shower sump pump would be way too small.
But the overboard discharge of the Shower may be the right size.

You could Tee it if the diameters are similar size.

You would have to manually block back flow the shower during RO making. I would doubt a check valve would work for both Sump and RO to work at same time.
Jim....

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I would think if, as James says, the thru hull diameter is sufficient that a simple manifold would be in order. You would need to manage the valves to have the streams flow in the correct way, but that is a learned experience. Signs and instructions (turn valve 1 to on, turn valve 2 to off, start pump, etc) are the life blood of an engineer in the boiler room. They do it all the time. So can you.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Are you planning to shower and make water at the same time?

Jul 19, 2015
Beneteau 343 BVI
I don’t foresee us taking a shower at the same time as we are making water. The brine discharge hose is 5/8 and looks like the shower through haul hose is maybe 1 inch

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
My Beneteau head sink drain and shower pump discharges share a thru-hull via a manifold. Each have a ball valve. I would be concerned that the shower pump could force gray water up my brine hose. Even with a loop. I wouldn’t want to have to remember to switch valves when making water.

Jul 19, 2015
Beneteau 343 BVI
Yes Stu you are correct I was using my phone. Will make sure to use thru hull from now on

ronbo

Jan 2, 2009
gozzard 44B mkll md
I also installed the same Spectra WM. I simply plumbed the brine hose into the sump pump drain hose after the top of the loop. I doubt if we ever took a shower while making water. You can try it and see if there is a conflict but I doubt it.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I think the issue relates to where the discharge for the shower sump is — not only the issue of diameter and configuration of the connections.

Our water maker has a discharge wlout if the stern transom above the waterline. I think it’s important to be able to check the effluent flow. With very rare exceptions, ours is almost always above the water line ;^))).

Ours shares the discharge for an AC raw water pump and our manual bilge pump from the cockpit. This hasn’t been an issue for us but we have the vented loop on the bulge pumps up “relatively” high.

Also, I wouldn’t use a “tee”, I’d use a “Y” to help direct the flow.

You do not want back pressure on the brine discharge and you want to visually be able to easily check it.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Thru vs through. I’m a first generation immigrant who has lived in the US since I was one year old. ;^). English is my second language, and I don’t have a first one.

When my daughter was three or four years old, she said she was, “coloring something black.”

Being and architect, I corrected her, “Lisa, ‘black’ is not exactly a color, it is a tone and the ‘absense of color’.

“You are wrong, Daddy,” she said. She picked out her crayon which was labeled ‘black’. “You see, Daddy!”

I’ve been going thr[o]u[gh] life since that day, decades ago. I generally let people get away with the answer to the question: What color? Answer: Black.

You are technically correct, I’m through.