Water Leaks

Oct 15, 2023
Hunter 49 Gosport
Anyone ever had to replace a water tank on a 49. Might have a leak under the galley and it looks like a real pain in the **** as all the tanks are sub floor with very limited access. Plus I hear not much sticks to poly tanks and I imagine welding this is not possible due to the access.

Any postive advice is welcome!

The water pump doesn't constantly prime so I'm pretty sure that rules out any pipe/fitting. However, as soon as that tank is filled I get a steady tiny stream in the bilge coming from the rear weap hole, which just builds up over many days and then just sits at the bilge pump switch level.

Going to put some water tracer (green) in the tank to be 100% sure as it has rained constantly for weeks.

Thanks
Michael

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
I used pool ph sticks and then compared rainwater to water in tank to see if leaks were from above or below.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
I would try both, but likely it is from the tank or leaking rain water. Salt level strip, that I use in my salt water pool may be looking for a range of salt water far above rain or water rank range.

Oct 15, 2023
Hunter 49 Gosport
Use a test strip in fresh water then another in Salt water Sample that your boat is in.

Compare the two for your Answer.:cool:
Jim...
Great tip!!

Looks like the water tank to me. Once the tank is empty I get no more water in the bilge and it has been monsoon like rain outside for weeks. So it is definitly not coming in from any other boat area.

Option1 - Try and drill some inspection hatches to spot the egress point and if I can reach it, I will try to apply some liquid rubber and geo tape. I've used this in the past and has worked pretty well.

Option 2 - Use a spray gun to reach difficult areas/corners

Option 3 - Investigatge using a bladder but this is not without issues as sometimes the water can taste funny and I think modifying the existing fittings will probably be another nightmare job.

Option4 (last resort) - Bite the bullet and escavate the tank Or just decom it and put another tank under the forward bunk (artboas sugestion)

• Helpful