Water leak

Apr 12, 2005
Hunter 37.5 Legend Catawba Island, Ohio
I need your thinking caps! Our 1995 Hunter 37.5 has a wet locker in the V-berth on the starboard side. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem. The ?cedar wood is wet along the bottom.

Feb 6, 2009
Hunter 40 Camano Island
most likely coming from the deck where the anchor locker handle goes into the deck.

especially if you have this handle

Apr 12, 2005
Checked the anchor locker and the latch hole and screws all go into the anchor locker. I tightened the toe rail bolts, in hopes that will help. I will look at the closet walls tomorrow and see if I can get those off to look behind them.

Feb 6, 2009
Hunter 40 Camano Island
not the screws.

The hole in the deck/liner where the handle slides into is the common source of water entry. Most boats never had a recessed plug seal there in the liner.

Aug 8, 2006
Catalina 34 Naples FL
You might check the hole where the anchor locker drains out. On my boat the fitting holding the water line drain tube was cracked. Could not see it from the deck but when i splashed water on it i could see water intrusion in the inner hull. When sailing with the rail down on that side water was entering and collecting in the bow bilge area. Replaced it and all was good.

Apr 12, 2005
The handle does not slide into the deck liner. The handle slides into the frame of the locker, and does not slide into the deck liner. After I took off the cedar liner in the hanging closet, I discovered the water is running along the base of the vee berth on the starboard side. My search continues!

Aug 16, 2011
Hunter 35.5 Bayfield, WI
The handle does not slide into the deck liner. The handle slides into the frame of the locker, and does not slide into the deck liner. After I took off the cedar liner in the hanging closet, I discovered the water is running along the base of the vee berth on the starboard side. My search continues!
I replaced the floor of the starboard locker on my 35.5, this spring because it had rotted out. I have no idea where the moisture came from to cause the problem. There wasn't any dampness under the piece. So, I'm going to follow this thread to see if I can learn anything.

Feb 6, 2009
Hunter 40 Camano Island
if it is not the toe rail screws , if it is not pulpit or anchor roller screws, if it is not the anchor locker......spray water where there are holes. it will find its way in.

probably start low with the locker drain

Apr 12, 2005
Search continues

My plan is to remove the headliner along the walls and replace with something along the same lines. This will mean taking the hanging locker and shelving out. I will keep everyone posted on our progress. Thanks again for all the thoughts on solving this issue! :dance::dance::dance:

Apr 12, 2005
Finally found the culprit!

I need your thinking caps! Our 1995 Hunter 37.5 has a wet locker in the V-berth on the starboard side. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem. The ?cedar wood is wet along the bottom.
After we took the headliner off the walls, we could see where the water leak seemed to start. I took off the inspection port to the water tank inlet and noticed a leak around the opening. Took the the water fill apart and re-sealed everything and thought I was done. Did another water test and water was still dripping from the same area, but not the water fill. Went back up on deck and took off the stainless steel fitting the furling line run through the deck and there was nothing sealing the screws into the deck. I just shook my head, pulled out my butyl tape and sealed everything. I also re- caulked around the edges of the anchor locker on the back wall just for safe measure.
Not sure what that brown rubber like glue is behind the headliner on the walls, but if I ever get that cleaned up, the rest of the repair is a piece of cake. Ordering the new headliner tomorrow and the plumbing parts for optional bypass around water tank to the water pump. Anyone every tackled that?
Thanks again for all the ideas and suggestions.
Jennie

Apr 12, 2005
well, here is our update. We found the leak, but after the leak is fixed, the repair is a monster compared to the leak. I am 98% sure this has been a problem for a very long time, lurking under the foam lined headliner on the V-berth walls. After removing both lockers from the V-berth and the wood platform for the mattress; We have removed the material and foam rubber, but now we are in the process of removing the glue/cement and fairing the side walls smooth. The new headliner has been ordered and will arrive in a couple of days. We have purchased a cleaner that will destroy the mold spores. I am sharing pictures of our progress and will share the finished project.

Attachments

Jul 27, 2013
Hunter 37.5 1065 Rock Hall, MD
I have a 1990 37.5. I am following your story intently. I can't fathom the project! It's been on my list for a long time. Blaze the trail!

Aug 10, 2015
Hunter 34 Charleston
Does it drain out the bow? I have a leak in the foerward part of the vberth when it rains. I thought it was the toe-rails maybe but was waiting until I hauled the boat. After hauling the boat, I noticed that on the bow there was an empty hole. Is this where the anchor locker drain fitting is supposed to be? I have a 1982 Hunter 34.