water leak in aft cabin overhead

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Art Butler

I have a 92 legend 43 and I noticed water damage in the aft cabin. The source of the leak appears to be the union of the overhead and the bulkhead in the back, starboard area. This is the area above the foot of the bed. It runs along the whole joint (about 2 feet). This is just aft of the storage area...right above the area is the aft end of the starboard lazarette. I can not figure where the water is coming from. The Lazarette looks to be sealed and joned to the side of the boat. Has anyone had leaks in this area or can anyone suggest where to look. I suspect that it might be the hull/deck joint, but it is in an area not normally subjected to water. Could it be deck wash/rain water seeping down some joint bolts? I am open to any suggestions on where to look and how to determine where the water comes from. Maybe just a good bead of caulk in the cabin at the joint? Please help. The intrusion is not significant but it is present and leaves streaks and gets the bedding wet.

G

Gene Roberts

Haed to find

I developed a similar leak on my 35.5 this past summer at about the same location. I finally narrowed it down to one of the 4 screws that hold the fiberglass panel down from the pedistal and covers the steering gear on the rudder post. I also resealed the area where the throttle cables go through the deck under this same cover, so far this seems to have corrected the problem.

A

Art Butler

Thanks

This at least gives me a place to start and hopefully end. If there is leakage there, it could run along the headliner to the edge and then drip down. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.