Water leak in Aft Cabin, Hunter 386

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 386 Lake St. Clair
Hey guys,
Looking for some advice. On occasion, we have had water collect behind the headboard ( in the trough) on our Hunter 386. It's coming in behind the wall somewhere. I've sealed about anything I can see on the deck. It has happened when its rained really hard or when I've hosed it off. Wondering if it's coming in around the Gunnel. Is the Gunnel suppose to be caulked on top and bottom? I don't see any. Not sure how it could be the windows, but I'm open to ideas. Is it hard to remove the wall so I can maybe trace where the water is coming in? We pull out at the end of September, so there's not much I can do until then. Thanks in advance,

Attachments

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Hunter 376 0 Washburn, WI on Lake Superior
I had this same issue on my 376. We re-sealed the frame gaps on the aft cabin ports and that took care of the issue. The water was leaking through the port frames down onto the headliner then making its way over to the headboard.

I am thinking the 386 may have the "newer" standard ports, but I think there is still a frame gap that could become unsealed. We used a little tool to scrape out the dried out sealant and resealed with black 4000UV.

Otherwise, if you have Bimini hardware that may also be just above that area, you may double check bedding.

Doug